Team joining question.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Team joining question.

Post by McLovin »

Test case: Teams have the same exact number of players, but are currently un-evenly matched. Red has the history scoring balance advantage, it is stacked. What team should get the next game joiner? I'm not talking about which team has the most current points. I'm talking about which team has the higher balance, ie, the stacked team.

I would hope the next game-joiner would go to the team with the lower balance. But I swear I've seen the next player join, go to the stacked team. And that pisses me off, LOL

Not sure if this is being addressed in the scoring/balancing discussions.

I don't want to dilute all the other threads regarding balancing and scoring with this test case. It's a very specific situation, but so annoying when the winning or highly rated team inherits the extra player, WTF?
pooty

Re: Team joining question.

Post by pooty »

viewtopic.php?p=3379&sid=4d0c2b35171fc8 ... 3b48#p3379

On the server. New player goes to the "weaker" team.

Keep in mind that just because the combined PPH is higher may or may mean that team is winning. Last night was case in point two matches where the higher PPH team got its ass beat.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:02 am Keep in mind that just because the combined PPH is higher may or may mean that team is winning. Last night was case in point two matches where the higher PPH team got its ass beat.
That's because PPH is a terrible metric to use for balance. Says nothing about a player's aggressiveness at nodes.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Could we use the "balance" command results to determine which team gets the newest player instead of total team PPH?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

McLovin wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:18 pm Could we use the "balance" command results to determine which team gets the newest player instead of total team PPH?
That's what happens now though. balance shows you each team's total PPH. New joins go to the lower PPH team.

I could change it back. Before this change, the new player went to the team that was losing. 'Losing' is based on core points and active nodes.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:19 pm
McLovin wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:18 pm Could we use the "balance" command results to determine which team gets the newest player instead of total team PPH?
That's what happens now though. balance shows you each team's total PPH. New joins go to the lower PPH team.

I could change it back. Before this change, the new player went to the team that was losing. 'Losing' is based on core points and active nodes.
I guess I'm confused what "balance" typed in chat is displaying.

Is it displaying the historical even-match totals for the team, or is it displaying the current game PPH team totals?
pooty

Post by pooty »

Current in game PPH totals, including any changes from the current match.
That's because PPH is a terrible metric to use for balance. Says nothing about a player's aggressiveness at nodes.
Its the only in game metric we have "in game", we do augment PPH with the multiplier.

I think the balance feels better, and certainly better than 6 months ago...

Always going to have anomalies due to score inflation from spammy vehicles, some players getting a really high score when its not their norm, and/or IMO the biggest thing is if you have suboptimal players that waste key/power vehicles doesn't matter the balance... if beetchucker suicides the mino, or some random noob repeatedly steals Enyo's falcon, it will skew the balance big time.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:40 pm ...
if beetchucker suicides the mino
LOL Beet, Domm, and Man_of_steel_on_wrong_side_of_map are the best mino-drivers on your team that benefits your enemy's team the most. Love em all, but I curse spit-balls when I spec-em.