Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Post by pooty »

So if you want an 'instant fire' weapon to spawn projectiles instead, you could override Fire to call SpawnProjectile. If you want a projectile weapon to do instant fire/hit scan, you can override Fire to call TraceFire.
Yeah its all coded now as projectile and overrided the alt-fire. This original code was a freaking pile of poo. I've got it mostly working except for one thing, when the beam first spawns it points the wrong way, then it corrects itself. looking like it points to world origin.

Spawn(BeamEffectClass, Self); which I then changed to
Spawn(BeamEffectClass, Self,,WeaponFireLocation, WeaponFireRotation or CurrentAim);

Even when WFR or CurrentAim aren't null it still does it (I think it uses those by default). In fact Spawn seems to ignore those, as I've tried rot(0,16384,0) or such to try it.. and does the same thing.

I'll look at the TraceFire which I think it uses later as it corrects, its just right at the start of firing.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So Wraith updates almost complete, the instant mode fixed some glitches with the beam (as well as bunch more code I removed/changed).

I have one last glitch, for some reason the beam wants to lock onto the Wraith itself as a "mirror" only when connected to dedicated server (works fine everywhere else).. The other players "see" it just fine. And here's the strange part still, if I jump in switch to gunner and alt-fire I'll see it. If I go back to driver and back to gunner it will now be fine for the rest of the time. Weird thing is I try to get Vehicle, and its None until AFTER I switch seats again then its fine... but can't figure out why that is..and it sees it fine on the server...its only client side effect. I just keep hearing "Replication is a bitch" in my head now.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Any easy way to fix the link nuke since it flips nodes, I think if you shoot it while standing on it. Maybe you can have it push away just a shorter distance to keep the player from triggering it?
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:30 pm Any easy way to fix the link nuke since it flips nodes, I think if you shoot it while standing on it. Maybe you can have it push away just a shorter distance to keep the player from triggering it?
I’ve also seen it where you link nuke an open node, the other team immediately kills it, but it’s still glowing like it’s trying to build. Then you step on it and it automatically builds instantly.

Even if they don’t fully kill it and just prevent it from building fully by shooting it, it’ll still come up several seconds later if the enemy stops shooting, like up to 10 secs later. It’s like it has a residual effect of building that lasts a long while sometimes.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:30 pm Any easy way to fix the link nuke since it flips nodes, I think if you shoot it while standing on it. Maybe you can have it push away just a shorter distance to keep the player from triggering it?
Just use the older version. The 1.6 version shouldn't have the problem.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:02 am when the beam first spawns it points the wrong way, then it corrects itself. looking like it points to world origin.
In WraithLinkBeamEffect, add this

Code: Select all

simulated function Vector SetBeamRotation()
{
    if ( (Instigator != None) && PlayerController(Instigator.Controller) != None )
        SetRotation( Instigator.Controller.GetViewRotation() );
    else
        SetRotation( Rotator(EndEffect - Location) );

return Normal(EndEffect - Location);
}
In Tick method near the top, replace

BeamDir = Normal(EndEffect - Location);
with

BeamDir = SetBeamRotation();
Both Tick (a function) and EndEffect ( a variable) are replicated. I think what's happening here is maybe it replicates the functions first, then variables, so first tick EndEffect was always null/0,0,0.

Another fix would be to check if EndEffect == vect(0,0,0) and just return and do nothing in that case.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Thanks I fixed the pointing to world origin, it seemed to fix when I went to instant fire mode (maybe bInstantRotation=True), but that code might also solve the current problem with the double beam on the connected client. I tried to duplicate what was in LinkBeamEffect in the WraithLinkBeamEffect.

I'll say it again, the whole thing was pretty poorly coded (sorry Wormbo), really doesn't look like it was coded or ever worked properly on the server (based off the Banshee vehicle), I think I've deleted more code than I've added or changed....
And the Odin turrets are pretty much same thing, so once the Wraith is fixed those will be fixed too. Fully loaded Odin would be kind of scary, with two heal turrets (and no it doesn't heal itself).

I did beef up the primary fire mode to do more damage its was so weak it was practically useless...its a good long range bouncy projectile weapon. And with hitsounds on it should be easier to use the bounce now.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Found it.

simulated function UpdateBeamState() Which spawns the beams....should NOT be simulated (ie run on both server and client), the run on the client always either wanted worldorigin or itself. So hooray its finally fixed, now to final test it.

I did add the code below as well.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Snarf, you mentioned there was an issue with the Wraith primary fire? I did some code cleanup, but shouldn't have changed anything really. And finally the beams are working on the 2nd seat alt-fire. Not sure its working optimally but I'd have to rewrite the code again (Note to self, don't always trust early wormbo code). And even stranger is I had to use different replication for Odin even though weapon/beameffect was same as wraith -- they didn't work the same. Same code all the way from ONSWeapon, Pawn, etc. so go figure.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

There is something weird with the wraith primary fire scorch marks aka 'decals'. They are *huge* and take up about 4096x4096 square on the map. It looks like a grid of scorch marks all happening at once. It's really weird.