Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Post by McLovin »

McLovin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:13 am
pooty wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:32 am ...
The one thing I'd like to do is make the less susceptible to being knocked around.
I love seeing HellBenders (trucks) go flying sideways. It cracks me up every time I see it.

It's like seeing a visual version of "F you and the horse you rode in on." Haha!
The only map I know of where the vehicles get knocked across the map is MinusMegaArena. Just like seeing the trucks go flying, but all the Megas get tossed. Wouldn't this make a funny hilarious version of select maps to see the mino and other vehicles go flying when hit. They are not dead, but they are out-of-action until they land somewhere. That's why I immediately suicide if I can when sent flying. But most stay alive and waste valuable time hoping they land on top of building so they can snipe.

It's similar to the thrill/giggle I get when on StarReach, you nudge/push someone over the edge and they are still alive, and fall to their doom. Haha
pooty

Post by pooty »

Might be able to make a mutator for it, but we already have spank arena.

Also, note to remove teleporter gun on Grit Nights (sorry Anon) but since I think only 3-4 people can easily get it and once one of them do it pretty much owns the map. I believe it has unlimited ammo so its good until they die, and it makes it very hard to kill them. I could replace it with something, maybe OMFG, translocator, so that there's still some reward there, but the Telelporter gun just breaks the map, IMO. I know Snarf you mentioned that say a good play in flyer can run the map too, but anyone can get in a flyer, they don't have to do double jump, wall dodge, jump dodge, wall dodge etc. to get them.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:33 am Might be able to make a mutator for it, but we already have spank arena.

Also, note to remove teleporter gun on Grit Nights (sorry Anon) but since I think only 3-4 people can easily get it and once one of them do it pretty much owns the map. I believe it has unlimited ammo so its good until they die, and it makes it very hard to kill them. I could replace it with something, maybe OMFG, translocator, so that there's still some reward there, but the Telelporter gun just breaks the map, IMO. I know Snarf you mentioned that say a good play in flyer can run the map too, but anyone can get in a flyer, they don't have to do double jump, wall dodge, jump dodge, wall dodge etc. to get them.
Yeah I remember Termi would own with this. I’m all for keeping the trials area but yeah the teleport shock rifle is too much. Also, I believe it has limited ammo. Maybe decrease ammo?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

pooty wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:33 am Might be able to make a mutator for it, but we already have spank arena.

Removing it is perfectly symbolic of the downhill slide of skill level on our server. It's *really* not that hard to do, but it does require some practice. Once you can do it you can forever. The main issue with grit nights isn't the trials area. It's that we don't play it enough that others can get good at it.

Most of us have played and beaten Super Mario Bros. There are some levels that you would get to and immediately die on, lose all your lives and have to start over. But with some time and practice, you figure out the level and now it's just another level, and you are better at the game because of it. Instead of keeping those levels, we edit them out, so even noobs can beat the game, and now beating the game means nothing. Even first time players can do it.

Arena FPS games are known for being high skill, difficult games. Why do we constantly try to lower the skill level, even discourage getting better? When you nerf vehicles that require aim to do well, like arbiter and troop carrier, you do it because of players with good aim like sanka and anonymous. But what does that do for players with not so good aim? Will they ever get in an arbiter or troop carrier now? When they were strong vehicles it could have encouraged people with poor aim to get better, so they can use them. Those type of changes meant to even the gap between players like sanka and phariz only hurt the server in the long run. There is no point improving your aim when you get punished for doing so. Same is true for wall dodge. It was rewarded, now it will mean nothing.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Also worth noting that people started complaining immediately saying something sketchy was happening... it seems like half the server still has no idea the trials area even exists.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

We should have a tips and tricks section on the forum where we can put video tutorials on how to do stuff. Some people still have trouble doing a shield jump off the faucet on MB or shieldjump onto the center ledge on bitchslap.

I started doing something like that last year but since we never play those type of maps I stopped at the dodge trials tutorial video ( it was a shitty tutorial xD)
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:11 am Those type of changes meant to even the gap between players like sanka and phariz only hurt the server in the long run. There is no point improving your aim when you get punished for doing so. Same is true for wall dodge. It was rewarded, now it will mean nothing.
I tried helping that fool by explaining what each vehicle did only for him to turn around and call me a hacker on voice chat literally the next match, fuck em. I frag people without remorse these days
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Super Sanka wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:27 am
captainsnarf wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:11 am Those type of changes meant to even the gap between players like sanka and phariz only hurt the server in the long run. There is no point improving your aim when you get punished for doing so. Same is true for wall dodge. It was rewarded, now it will mean nothing.
I tried helping that fool by explaining what each vehicle did only for him to turn around and call me a hacker on voice chat literally the next match, fuck em. I frag people without remorse these days
Amen to that Sanka. I’ve offered constructive advice to him multiple times, he never even tries to adopt any of it.

And snarf, the trials thing with the teleport gun, I bet if you ask anyone that can do it with ease, Anon & Termi are the only two I know of, they’ll tell you they practiced it offline. I know Termi did. That tells you that nobody else on this server is all that interested in learning that, I’m not. And you of all people want different maps to get played… this one hardly ever does partly because of the teleport gun. Maybe it gets played more now.

Now, that said I do like the teleport gun and think there should be a map or two where it’s common for everyone, maybe at the core locker. That would be quite the shitshow! Could call it TeleportMadness.

Or, it would be good on giant maps like Meadowland. If everyone could get it, maybe those kind of maps get played more.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Once you can do it you can forever. The main issue with grit nights isn't the trials area. It's that we don't play it enough that others can get good at it.
There's four that can do it well from what I know, Anon, Snarf, Sanka and Terminator.

My issue is its more than a reward, might as well give you a flying mino. Anon wrecked the whole map with it. He was virtually unkillable, he was teleporting way up in the air, shooting shit, re-teleporting all over the place. To me its like the infinite wall dodge flying through the air, its just broken -- to me that's an exploit and I don't think it was intended to be such (for either thing).

I really think that map would get played more without that gun. Put in another superweapon that's a one shot, limited ammo and its fine. Maybe like Invisibility, OMFG and Translocator -- you still get a nice reward, but it doesn't last forever.

And poor Pharizwheel, the angriest player on the server, has zero concept of tactics or strategy. He's worse than a Leeroy Jenkins. And when he does something dumb and gets killed quickly --- its always hacks. :lol:
pooty

Post by pooty »

Okay so

ONS-GritNights-TMU-TeleportGun-V2.ut2 - Exactly the same as the one previously, this includes the Teleporter Gun

ONS-GritNights-TMU-NOTeleportGun-V2.ut2 - Same as the one previously, Teleporter Gun replaced with LinkNuke, and Double Damage replaced with the normal Translocator. This gives you a good reward -- but shouldn't one side the map.