Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Misc Map Changes Thread..for little glitches and annoyances...

Post by pooty »

Yes! I remember, we were having a pretty good run until that.
Not sure why this is happening again, we haven't changed bio/mino or any of that in quite a while.

Snarf, is it dependent on Damage Type or is the fix applied regardless of damage type?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It doesn't depend on damage type. It's a part of the PlayerController class. It has a 'ShakeView' function and pawns have a 'SpecialCalcView'. Some vehicles call this function when they are firing or when they take damage.

There is a bug when the ShakeView function goes too far (passed 180 vertical) and never stops spinning. It's supposed to stop after so many seconds but doesn't if it goes too far. It's core engine code used in a lot of different places. How far it goes depends on how much damage is done in one hit.

The fix for this in vehicles is to add this function

Code: Select all

simulated function SpecialCalcBehindView(PlayerController PC, out actor ViewActor, out vector CameraLocation, out rotator CameraRotation )
{
    if(Abs(PC.ShakeRot.Pitch) >= 16384)
    {
        PC.bEnableAmbientShake = false;
        PC.StopViewShaking();
        PC.ShakeOffset = vect(0,0,0);
        PC.ShakeRot = rot(0,0,0);
    }

super.SpecialCalcBehindView(PC, ViewActor, CameraLocation, CameraRotation);
}
If the pitch is > 180 degrees vertical, disable shaking.

This fix is only for 3rd person. If you are in 1st person you might still get the camera roll bug. Maybe that's what happened?

A better fix might be

Code: Select all

simulated function SpecialCalcView(out actor ViewActor, out vector CameraLocation, out rotator CameraRotation )
{
    local PlayerController PC;
    PC = PlayerController(Controller);
    if( (PC == None) || (PC.Viewtarget != self) )
		return false;
    if(Abs(PC.ShakeRot.Pitch) >= 16384)
    {
        PC.bEnableAmbientShake = false;
        PC.StopViewShaking();
        PC.ShakeOffset = vect(0,0,0);
        PC.ShakeRot = rot(0,0,0);
    }

super.SpecialCalcView(ViewActor, CameraLocation, CameraRotation);
}
That would work for 1st and 3rd person view. Not sure if that's the problem though.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Can't remember if I was 1st or 3rd, usually though in mino always third. Tiamat might have been 1st to get the targeting just right.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I thought more about making trickboards link instead of grapple, but I still think it's a bad idea.

I don't really like the link vehicles in onslaught. I think they break onslaught quite a bit. A big part of the risk/reward is you have to get out of your vehicle to link the node, possibly eat a tank blast to do it. Having all these link vehicles negates that. People complain about link nuke being too OP. I think Link Badger is just as bad. Link trickboards will just add to that imo. If someone else wants to make them link I won't complain, but I don't want to do it myself.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I'm good with them not linking, just we need to change the beam so it doesn't look like a link beam, and maybe a message like "Grapple Beam Activated!" I don't think it makes sense..those boards fly, they are super fast and hard to hit = game breaker, since they'd allow you to pick up deemer, link, fly away and boom...fast easy and super sneaky....

At least as you're lumbering across the map in Link Tank, you're big easy target, on a board not so much...
I don't really like the link vehicles in onslaught. I think they break onslaught quite a bit.

You still have to be on foot to start the node.
They should be used sparingly on non randomizer maps (even then have a higher point value), as they link up nodes very fast. I'm ok with that with especially with linkers (team work), but a couple of the Link Vehicles that are OP IMO:
- Link Badger, fast, high link, high health
- Linkatron, links up nodes = to about 3 linkers by itself, but its a 1600 pt mech, so its one of those power vehicles.
- Heavy Link Tank with a bunch of linkers -- high multiplier, lots of health -- but likely still one shotted from a Mino so....

By that logic half the vehicles we have are OP. Omni's favorite maps are vehicle heavy in which Link vehicles are ok. On the more DM/foot based maps -- no.
A big part of the risk/reward is you have to get out of your vehicle to link the node, possibly eat a tank blast to do it. Having all these link vehicles negates that.
True except you're no longer dealing with slow inaccurate goliaths, and raptors that take 8 shots to kill you on foot. Now most badgers kill you on foot pretty fast, Hammerheads = dead linker, and we haven't even gotten to Minos, FireTanks, Hurricanes etc. I think without any link vehicles, much harder to link nodes.

In the end comes down to map / vehicle balance. For example, Link Tank is pretty potent on Tyrant, on Minus-KitchenSink, not so much.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I agree with pooty, the dynamic of onslaught has changed on this server quite a bit with all the newer vehicles to the point where link vehicles are not any more game breaking than any one of the OP tanks/flyers.

The majority of our players don’t bother getting out of vehicles to link nodes, so maybe having the link vehicles will encourage them to link a bit more often.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

The majority of our players don’t bother getting out of vehicles to link nodes
Hell some of them don't even shoot nodes. I think there was multiple times over the last few days where enemy was building our primary and stains drove the other way..
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I'll probably do two things then

1) update trickboard grapple graphics
2) create a new 'linkboard' vehicle

I don't want to change trickboard to linkboard because I think that would adversely affect a lot of maps that already have trickboards (like what happened with Arbiter).
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:54 am I'll probably do two things then

I don't want to change trickboard to linkboard because I think that would adversely affect a lot of maps that already have trickboards (like what happened with Arbiter).
Good call
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:54 am I'll probably do two things then

Good compromise, the link board should prob only be on randomizers.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain