-bored

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: -bored

Post by captainsnarf »

I blame the Omnitaur for breaking the game more than any other vehicle.

It's a map with an Omnitaur. Their team has Enyo/Xexx/Nautikal in it. Your team has .. ? Big Floppies? Coldcut? Fragster? You are going to lose.

The randomizers help negate this effect somewhat as they tend to make everything over powered, but it's still there.

"We are losing because all the stains take the good vehicles." It really shouldn't be about the vehicles. It should be about going to nodes and teamwork. It doesn't matter how much teamwork you have if they have an A+ player in their mino and you have a B player in yours.

The server would be a lot more balanced if Omnitaur was replaced with the classic minotaur. It's never going to happen but I can still point it out.
pooty

Post by pooty »

The server would be a lot more balanced if Omnitaur was replaced with the classic minotaur. It's never going to happen but I can still point it out.
I agree. The Omnitaur (Min)o(taur) with the big splash damage is more or less not getting placed on many new non-randomizer maps. I have replaced it on Minus-pootylicious with Classic (that also has mobreaker which is also OP but really only at close range). Using the Omnitaur on a non-rando map needs to have a balance by either map (eg. terrain, line of sight etc) that limits it, or by other vehicles to counter.

Newer maps with no Omnitaur:
AbandondedCity Randomizer
Valarna Randos (Omnitaur would own this even more than Levi)
Dinora (has the new updated boats with primary driver gun) - not sure we've even played since I fixed the boats
AlienHop - Flooded

Can't remember if I put it on Acerbus (huge map with Library), but since its a huge map with some OP flyers they are a good counter, flyers can hide in the trees and ambush.

All that aside, on most of the "traditional" maps (eg. Minus, Dria, JY) the mino driver is key to victory or loss. Rest of the vehicles don't much matter...if you Beetchucker/Coldcut your mino, and you have a good mino driver, you'll do well.

On the flip side, at times players like Xexx/Enyo/Nautikal etc can be so dominating that you can't comeback (think Xexx/Army on AlienHop; or the Mino set up on the enemy dognuts spot, spamming the core).

I think any vehicle that has a serious "one-shot" that does more than 600-700 points should have serious balancing.. eg. Levis are stationary to deploy singularity cannon; Deemers are "oneshot", Nova Missle tank tanks 60seconds to reload and you're effectively blind when flying the nukes. Omnitaur is fast once moving, shoots very fast, very far with lots of splash to make up for lack of accuracy. I'm happy to phase it out a bit more...plus I think the speed of the projectile is what causes the unregs...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:11 am The server would be a lot more balanced if Omnitaur was replaced with the classic minotaur. It's never going to happen but I can still point it out.
I think this is a key point. Without the existence of the Omnitaur, the often maligned OP flyers likely either wouldn't be on the server or would be drastically nerfed from their current versions. I do know the Falcon was created or added to specifically counter the Omnitaur. I think it was Mailbox or one of the other previous admins that said that on the old forum years ago.

I would have no problem at all completely replacing the Omnitaur with the classic Mino on all maps. Then, it would make more sense to start nerfing all the rest of the OP vehicles, yes including the flyers, that were a result of the escalation.

Maybe we should do a poll to see how everyone feels about that?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Maybe we should do a poll to see how everyone feels about that?
They vote every night on the maps. They all love their stupid tank wars.
leon

Post by leon »

+100 Snarf.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I would have no problem at all completely replacing the Omnitaur with the classic Mino on all maps.
Me either. Perhaps maybe something not quite as drastic? Reduce the damage? So the Classic mino full damage on direct hit, Omnitaur full damage on direct hit, but less damage on splash, or maybe because of the splash total damage reduced by say 40-60%?
My biggest issue with Omni is it takes very little skill, aiming doesn't matter much...especially at longer ranges...just lob a few shots in an you're likely to kill everything.

So is Minus more fun with or without Omnitaur?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I've already said this but if you don't see me on anymore I'm probably playing freon or fortnite.

I try to join our server when it starts to pick up but lately I've been regretting it every time I do. Not much has changed since I first made this post. The same old maps still win the vote, and the rotation is short enough it's the same old maps every day. If we make the rotation longer and have other maps in the rotation then the regular players stop playing. Hard to make everybody happy here. It's depressing when we just finished a game of minus, and they vote for another minus variation, or AJ after playing DJ. People will vote for newer maps like Valarna, but only because of the edits with all the super vehicles. I doubt it would get much play with regular vehicles. I like the more DM style maps myself but the only one in the current rotation that gets played is MB. It's rare to get consensus on maps like captain gordons or bitchslap. Most of our players don't like them. It's hard to justify playing on our server all night for the one map I actually want to play.
pooty

Post by pooty »

rotation is short enough it's the same old maps every day
Rotation is at 22! That should be plenty to at least not play the same maps every day, as maybe 5-8 maps get played If they are then we might need to take additional steps.

I like the variety and the idea with that rotation is there's a good mix, something for everyone, TMU type maps are quite popular and always have been. We have other good DM style maps (even TAL is a good mix there IMO), like AH, ChainsIsle etc. Lots want to just sit in tanks and snipe. Even the newer stuff like AmalteaTowers which isn't super vehicle heavy gets met with resistance.

It's a tough challenge to make it perfect for all. I often find when I am getting burned out is to play / do something else for few days.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

22?! That's good to know. Thank you for updating it. When I looked at the stats page when making the post above, I looked at matches with > 10 players over the last week, it was all the same old maps. It seemed like the only time new maps were played was when like only 2-4 people were playing.

When all the popular maps are greyed out during prime time, I've seen a few players ask for the maps to be reset. "All the good maps are greyed out". :( They misspelled 'overplayed' :lol:
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

I've been trying to vote in Evergreen, I remember we used to play it nightly a few years ago. Not sure why it fell out of favor so much that I haven't played it since then. I almost thought it wasn't on the list.