-bored

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: -bored

Post by Enyo »

I think increasing to 22 is a good move. And so what if we get a night or two a week where we play new maps that require a little thought and wllingness to learn. The tank yards won’t play those, but so what if it’s fewer players on newer maps, instead of shooting for 32 players? Quality over quantity I say.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
ankeedo

Post by ankeedo »

To solve this problem there are 3 options: vote, spectate, or quit ... it's so easy...
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Does anyone have a text list of all the maps currently on the server?
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

ankeedo wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:38 pm To solve this problem there are 3 options: vote, spectate, or quit ... it's so easy...
Agreed! You can't force others to play maps they don't want to. Not a fan of that type of social engineering.

I don't mind increasing the map cool-down periods. It's not going to affect me. I found a solution that works for me, join early when the server is empty, force the map I like, BadgerMeUp, hang around until AnKeeDo get's off the toilet, play.

If I'm really bored during the evening, I'll check what maps are in play. If it's something I don't care for, I'll spectate for a while. If it's a map I like I'll insta-join.

PS: I discovered why I don't play as much anymore. Working from home all day sitting in front of my computer leaves me very little desire to sit some more in front of the same workstation and play UT at night. I kinda miss that part of the daily in-the-office routine, the commute, etc was a nice break during the daily ritual.

Another thing I noticed: Is the spectator count up to 5 now? Yeah for the "Yellow" team, but wasn't it only 4 in the original game. Decreasing spectators to only Admins or 1 or 2 regular Joes might increase the player counts. Just a thought.

pooty

Post by pooty »

I could get it if we want it. I'd have to download all the maps on the server though...
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

pooty wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:23 pm
I could get it if we want it. I'd have to download all the maps on the server though...
Eh, don't worry about it if it's more work than a copy/paste job. I was thinking if we get a list, make categories "overplayed, good but forgotten, new" etc.... Couldn't we set the cooldown number to the amount of overplayed maps? That way we'd need to play a new map to unlock a favorite map.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

We have over 100 maps. It would be easy enough to set the rotation limit to 50+.

Then half our players wouldn't play. It's a dilemma. To many of our players today, Unreal = Minus TMU. They don't want to play another map. They've been playing the same game for 18+ years. We really need new blood as much as we need more maps in the rotation. We all vote for the next map. I wouldn't be bitching if more would win the vote on merit. We should be able to have the rotation limit at 0, but that really depends on the players. If our crowd wants to play endless minus we shouldn't chase them away.

Guitarshop won the vote last night, over minus. -YAY
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

To me, the need for large rotation limits is strange. Have you ever played soccer? How many times do you complain that the pitch is exactly the same? Forcing large rotation limits so that a few players don't get bored seems very risky on a very sparsely populated server.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:11 pm To me, the need for large rotation limits is strange.
Forcing large rotation limits so that a few players don't get bored seems very risky on a very sparsely populated server.
Agreed.

I know many won't play unless there are >10 players. I know I'm reluctant to join when the player count is low, mostly because I'm lazy and don't want to do all the work. Even more so on a large map.

Is there a pattern here? This sample size is too small, but something to dig deeper into. I do see maps that people like to play.

Did BitterSands empty the server?

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

I go back and forth on this issue. I literally played demo Toraln for YEARS before finally getting the real game and joining this server so on one hand I don't mind playing the same map like FR is saying about playing the same soccer field. I don't think this dilemma will ever resolve, partly because only a handful of us are on the forums and our opinions often differ from the greater player base.