Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
McLovin
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by McLovin »

Well that F'n sucks. Others can see Roger's linux server, but I can't. No OMNI_TEST or anything like it appears under Onslaught servers for me. I'm on the GameSpy server now.

I was able to connect direct: 68.162.216.228:7777

BTW: Roger says the Epic server has the port listed incorrectly. Won't matter in a week or so when the Epic server goes TITS-UP.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, for some reason the Omni Test doesn't show up on Epic.

Roger do you see lines like this in the Server.log?

Code: Select all

Log: MasterServerUplink: Resolved ut2004master1.epicgames.com as 3.218.5.215.
Log: MasterServerUplink: Resolved utmaster.openspy.net as 157.245.212.59.
Log: MasterServerUplink: Connection to ut2004master1.epicgames.com established.
Log: MasterServerUplink: Connection to utmaster.openspy.net established.
Log: Approval APPROVED
Log: Master server assigned our MatchID: 1234
Its set up to use MasterServerMirror that should push it to both. I wouldn't spend much time on it as after the 24th won't matter anyway, need to use OpenSpy.
ROGER

Post by ROGER »

Yes, and I can see it on both... however on epic if gives a seemingly random port number to connect to. I saw this behavior when I first started testing running a server. I tried the ServerBehindNAT setting and a few other things but it never worked. Not really worth the debugging time when it will be gone in a few weeks.

Everyone should change their UT2004.ini file anyways.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:00 am ...
https://ut2004serverlist.com/?page_id=22
Update: I followed these instructions yesterday. I could see other servers but not Roger's OMNI_TEST server. I could connect with OpenIP directly to it and join. But when I tried to add to favorites, it wouldn't save.

Today, with the new splash screen to change to the OpenSpy master server, I started seeing the OMNI_TEST server and I could save it to my favorites. So everything is working normally and as expected now.

Point being: If you're not already on OMNI, and get the splash screen, some may NEVER find the OMNI_TEST server. Seems it works for some and not for others when done manually.
ROGER

Post by ROGER »

Just an FYI, I will shut off the server on weekdays. Figure by about 7:30PM EST ill start it back up.

I did some quick searching for a VPS service with fast some fast CPU's, some exist. The server, ucc-bin binary, will only work on one CPU core anyways so it is not like we need a pile of CPU's, just at least 2 fast ones +4G of RAM. Alternatively I could adjust the docker image I previously mentioned to run the omni server setup, so it opens up the possibility of just running the server in a container - so even AWS, or other hosting providers.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I did some quick searching for a VPS service with fast some fast CPU's, some exist. The server, ucc-bin binary, will only work on one CPU core anyways so it is not like we need a pile of CPU's, just at least 2 fast ones +4G of RAM. Alternatively I could adjust the docker image I previously mentioned to run the omni server setup, so it opens up the possibility of just running the server in a container - so even AWS, or other hosting providers.
Correct pure single core performance is what's needed. We have the option to use VPS or even VDS with NFO. Its always come down to costs. If we looked at AWS/Azure it becomes really expensive quickly.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Something I've noticed is when I hit esc and open the scoreboard, sometimes my lag will be jumping around. It will go from 39 to 59 to 79 then back down to 39, all within a second. It's during those times I have a hard time hitting anything with lots of unregs.

If I close the game, got to command prompt and ping the server, it's a consistent 46ms that never changes. I believe the in-game ping fluctuation is happening due to the CPU being overloaded. We modified UTComp to have a max backtrack of 150ms, down from the default of 350ms, and that seemed to help the CPU issue quite a bit. I've only heard one complaint, from WorldIsMental who has a ping usually > 250ms which is unfortunate side effect.

I still think it's worth investigating a dedicated server, but not sure how much it matters when we mostly play tanks anyway.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So might want to try doing a traceroute instead of ping. Some of that slow down I believe might be the network.

That being said, I do agree that we are getting CPU hit, but we don't know for sure since the NFO charts are averages (from ganglia).
Per NFO:
"Note that observed CPU usage can be influenced by overall machine load, because other servers share the same cache, memory, and processor resources; high overall load can cause every process to run more slowly and therefore make them register as using more CPU. The difference is mostly seen when overall CPU usage exceeds 50%."

Like last night with 30+ players, we hit 60% (a five minute average), but that means our core is fighting other cores for same resources, and I have seen a correlation between our game server getting really laggy and the overall Server (Machine) CPU.

I believe that this https://www.nfoservers.com/virtual-dedi ... entals.php might help. If nothing else we'd be able to run it for a while and see the actual usage.

I am going to ask them. Linux is about 20 a month, Windows a bit more 36 (window license I am sure). I'd like to keep the current server (its part of the package 37 a month includes the game and this forum and redirect website). I think we might have an option to keep the forum/webserver.
We can test that with a free 2 day trial, or just plunk down the money for a 1 month trial, without disrupting anything current...

We also had Roger's test server.... we should run an evening test on it. Roger can hopefully monitor CPU and we can use mutator on the current server to automatically redirect, if Roger is willing.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:26 am I believe that this https://www.nfoservers.com/virtual-dedi ... entals.php might help. If nothing else we'd be able to run it for a while and see the actual usage.

I am going to ask them. Linux is about 20 a month, Windows a bit more 36 (window license I am sure). I'd like to keep the current server (its part of the package 37 a month includes the game and this forum and redirect website). I think we might have an option to keep the forum/webserver.
We can test that with a free 2 day trial, or just plunk down the money for a 1 month trial, without disrupting anything current...
What are we waiting for, let's try it out! Can't hurt, and we certainly have plenty of funds to trial it for a month. The lag was pretty atrocious last night, along with tons of unregs.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

So this is what I got back from NFO wrt to the virtual server:
I wouldn't recommend going with a virtual server in either case, as the slight bit of CPU overhead from the virtualization means it wouldn't perform as well as it would on bare hardware like it is now. Also, those servers are generally on hardware using CPUs designed with a higher number of cores rather than higher speed.
I have them looking into it...our CPU for our game server looks pretty decent, only going over 50% when we are 30+. (We maxed at 62% the night before (Friday) with full server, Saturday we didn't even hit 60.) However the overall machine CPU was 42%+ So that makes me think that machine (which is 8 core I think) its pretty loaded with other games.

So back to needing bare metal with a fast single thread cpu...or maps/vehicles that are easier on the game. For the most part its playable, except for a few spots here and there, not sure its worth spending 10x the money.