Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:11 am We had it last night and it seemed ok, we didn't have 32, but 27. So could have been just one of those nights.
I do think reducing the levis on there would help... Maybe get rid of the tiamat and leave hospitaler and dark levi. With all the levis the play really becomes 1-2 one dimensional. I think adding the UFO would be fun to have portals.
Yeah, you could shoot a portal right behind 1/2 and put the other in your base so foot soldiers could just walk right in and build.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Lag was pretty bad for me on Minus-KS and Valarna. I've watched my fps drop from 140 to 70ish on minus (much worse than Valarna)..its pretty much unplayable.
I hate to say it but I think UTComp is the culprit. CPU spiked to 48%, so we haven't overloaded the CPU, but I think there's something in the engine that's limiting us. The many vehicles don't help either, but I don't remember it ever being that bad prior to UTComp. I think we should remove UTComp for a week and see. I know lots like the ping compensation when on foot and if we decide that's more important we can trim down the vehicles. There also could be vehicles that cause this, in fact it'd be good to play the ol' Randomizer V5b and see how it plays with 25+ people.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Whatever you think is best pooty!

The SoL server has been having some lag issues lately also. They use NFO for hosting. I wonder if it's related.
pooty

Post by pooty »

The SoL server has been having some lag issues lately also. They use NFO for hosting. I wonder if it's related.
I can ask.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:05 am Lag was pretty bad for me on Minus-KS and Valarna. I've watched my fps drop from 140 to 70ish on minus (much worse than Valarna)..its pretty much unplayable.
I hate to say it but I think UTComp is the culprit. CPU spiked to 48%, so we haven't overloaded the CPU, but I think there's something in the engine that's limiting us. The many vehicles don't help either, but I don't remember it ever being that bad prior to UTComp. I think we should remove UTComp for a week and see. I know lots like the ping compensation when on foot and if we decide that's more important we can trim down the vehicles. There also could be vehicles that cause this, in fact it'd be good to play the ol' Randomizer V5b and see how it plays with 25+ people.
That's the weird thing about it though, the lag is not across the board for all players at the same time. I didn't experience any noticeable lag last night except the typical Draco fire lag on Nevermore.

I am starting to think something is bugged with the Draco fire since it was updated to shoot out further... it takes 2-3 seconds before the flame does any damage to anything, including nodes.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I didn't see it too bad on Dria either, mostly on Minus. If NFO doesn't turn up anything then I suspect we have a buggy vehicle doing it.
Something is off with the newest Wraith, the alt-fire beam is visible, but seemed laggy -- and its basically same as the Odin but I had to make code changes on the Wraith only to get it to work on the server (ie. Identical code on Odin turrets works differently!?).

WRT to Draco, I can take a look, it might be the particular damage type that needs a brief moment to cause it. However when heavy load, the server will prioritize the drawing/emitters -- this is why you see the opposite (invisible turrets / laser beams) that do damage yet stay invisible.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:05 am I didn't see it too bad on Dria either, mostly on Minus. If NFO doesn't turn up anything then I suspect we have a buggy vehicle doing it.
Something is off with the newest Wraith, the alt-fire beam is visible, but seemed laggy -- and its basically same as the Odin but I had to make code changes on the Wraith only to get it to work on the server (ie. Identical code on Odin turrets works differently!?).

WRT to Draco, I can take a look, it might be the particular damage type that needs a brief moment to cause it. However when heavy load, the server will prioritize the drawing/emitters -- this is why you see the opposite (invisible turrets / laser beams) that do damage yet stay invisible.
Yeah the Wraith beam was definitely off, was actually doing damage or draining a node, but the beam was all skittish. On the Draco, you can watch a node, it takes a few secs before the health meter starts draining, and takes a few for hit sounds to kick in.
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

On the Draco, you can watch a node, it takes a few secs before the health meter starts draining, and takes a few for hit sounds to kick in.
There's not really a delay, Think of the flame as single projectile, It is a projectile and not hit scan, so movement does affect hitting. It also is slow moving takes pretty much that 1.25s to get to the end of its range. If its longer than that, then its lag.

However it does full damage the closer you are. ..it loses strength as it moves away, this downscales the damage, about 80% half way down to about 60% at the end of its range.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:07 pm
On the Draco, you can watch a node, it takes a few secs before the health meter starts draining, and takes a few for hit sounds to kick in.
There's not really a delay, Think of the flame as single projectile, It is a projectile and not hit scan, so movement does affect hitting. It also is slow moving takes pretty much that 1.25s to get to the end of its range. If its longer than that, then its lag.

However it does full damage the closer you are. ..it loses strength as it moves away, this downscales the damage, about 80% half way down to about 60% at the end of its range.
What I'm saying is you can be right on top of a node with it, not moving at all, almost the nose of the Draco touching the ground, and it'll take 3-4 secs before it does damage. There's a significant delay in causing damage even then. Why?
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

almost the nose of the Draco touching the ground, and it'll take 3-4 secs before it does damage. There's a significant delay in causing damage even then. Why?
No there isn't.. at least in testing on the server. If it takes that long then its lag. Maybe post up a video of it? I tested it yesterday on the server and it does damage as soon as the flame hits the node... best way is try it against a locked node you get the message "Unable ..." right away. It might not cause enough damage fast enough to register on the node meter (which always seems slow to me either damaging or healing).