Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
ROGER

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by ROGER »

I think switching to a linux type of instance should be an easy swap and will probably help - even if we are still on a VM.

I have been messing with the linux server on my home box. I can pretty handily get a server working with the docker image on github (phasecorex/ut2004-server), or natively with either i386 (seems most common) or the amd64 version. I do not mind testing if on my home system for a bit.

Others are probably much faster and better with setting up the mods, ini, and starting command. So if someone wants to share the config secrets or spin up their own linux version let me know.

Cheers
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

Ok, I'm convinced NFO servers are garbage. I've been playing on HoC, SoL, Omni, and Landlords most of the day, each day since christmas.
Here's the ones that run on NFO
https://www.gametracker.com/search/ut2k ... ASC#search

Now I don't see much P/L I've been running stat net/stat fps mostly every time. BUT I do see lag from time to time without P/L. And I do feel that somehow sharing a machine (its not a true VM as I understand it) is part of the problem. I've seen a couple times where we've had lag and our player count is fairly low (< 20) and our reported game server CPU < 30%, but the game machine CPU is much higher (35%+) so this tells me noisy neighbor -- ie some other game is eating up cpu and we are competing.

I like the idea of dedicated server -- better logging for one, and I believe better performance, only downside is cost. We can get a dedicated VM on NFO for 25/month or so, and dedicated machine for about 100/month. The biggest obstacles for dedicated machine is someone has to maintain the OS, and do backups. I can maintain the OS, but operational backups are a pain. [Right now we pay $436 a year for the game, website/forum, including stats DB resources, and they handle all the OS maintence, daily backups etc. -- so its quite jump to the others -- and NFO is relatively inexpensive compared to other hosters]
I think switching to a linux type of instance should be an easy swap and will probably help - even if we are still on a VM.
Possibly on performance. However linux and UT2004 is a bit of a pain -- the old server is linux. The reason its a pain is case sensitive. UT2004 for the most part is case insentitive. Windows as well. Linux is not. So for say System/vehicle files... if you load them into a map as LIPPlasmatank.u and the actual file name is LIPPlasmaTank.u works fine on windows. On linux its crashes with file not found error since they don't match. Same on the redirect. Its fixable but takes time/extra care.

Roger, if you need the linux install PM me. I have the entire linux install from the old server. You'd have to pull the newer maps/vehicles. Let me know I could probably tar up the current install.

Maybe we should try a dedicated linux VM/Machine and see.. or doesn't anyone have another hosting provider? We still have about $1200 that's locked into NFO via donations.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Maybe we should try a dedicated linux VM/Machine and see
So ROGER has kindly set us up with a Linux Test Server. (Look for Omni TEST in your Openspy server list) All current omni goodies / maps are installed (Admins your passwords aren't there, see private forum for the admin password).

We should pick a day for a load test. We'd need at least 20 IMO to give it a good go, and ROGER of course to monitor the CPU. For now though we can test network ping etc.

Anyone have any ideas for date? Think maybe a Saturday Afternoon so as not to interfere with normal game?
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:11 pm ...
Anyone have any ideas for date? Think maybe a Saturday Afternoon so as not to interfere with normal game?
My only suggestion on time is: Get her done before 8:00 PM EST. That's my BadgerMeUp go time. Don't F with that. Hahaha!
pooty

Post by pooty »

There is a mutator that does an automatic redirect. Might look into that and shove everyone over there one night to see how it goes.

We had plenty of lag tonight, it was much worse than last night and last night we had more players. I'd like to blame it on maps, but we play the same 6 maps. I think its the shared NFO server that's bogging us down.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:11 pm So ROGER has kindly set us up with a Linux Test Server. (Look for Omni TEST in your Openspy server list)
Not seeing Omni TEST in the server list. It's not listed on OpenSpy's server list online at http://beta.openspy.net/en/server-list/ut2004.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Not seeing Omni TEST in the server list. It's not listed on OpenSpy's server list online at http://beta.openspy.net/en/server-list/ut2004.
Does it show up in the Game? It should be listed in both, it uses same config as the current server.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Hmm. It was there yesterday. Pooty and I were playing on it.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:45 pm
Does it show up in the Game? It should be listed in both, it uses same config as the current server.
No, game server list matches the list at that OpenSpy link. Don't see Omni TEST on either.

Maybe Roger turned it off or did something "Rogery" to it?

This is what I currently see:
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain