Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Recent Lag ... and what's being done.

Post by pooty »

On a maybe related, maybe unrelated note. I've also been talking with our hosting provider NFO and they are going to move our server to a faster machine. Not sure if they moved it yet, they were waiting on me but I was OOO (playing at work in Vegas).
Not sure if that was cause of the down time, but we'll see.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:23 am On a maybe related, maybe unrelated note. I've also been talking with our hosting provider NFO and they are going to move our server to a faster machine. Not sure if they moved it yet, they were waiting on me but I was OOO (playing at work in Vegas).
Not sure if that was cause of the down time, but we'll see.
I think they moved it this morning. Got one of those generic support emails from NFO at 9:49 am that just says “Server Move (omnipotents 2/game) in the subject line.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep looks like it was moved, hopefully that helps with performance. We will also see some additional CPU since OLStats is off too.
pooty

Post by pooty »

30/32 on Arctic Rando, I was seeing 165 fps (my max set). I think that the server move worked out well.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Well, zero lag and zero crashes first day after the move. Time will tell.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep. But even on the best days on the previous server we didn't see those kind of framerates with that many people on the randomizer maps. The real test will be Minus-KitchenSink or MassD. Pretty good service from NFO considering what we pay.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

I have to adjust to not having lag again heh
pooty

Post by pooty »

A bit of lag on Minus-KS here and there.. but that map in particular is pretty bad.

We still never tested a full load on ROGER's test machine... which would be good. And I think Anon said he had a spare machine we could test on.
ROGER

Post by ROGER »

Can pin us to a host with a higher clock?

Can we see load per core?

Is there a way to make the ut2004-bin process the highest priority and other processes (like this web server a low priority)? Something like 'nice' on Linux.

I can turn on the linux server any evening basically. Ill take out all the old epic servers and launch it again.....
pooty

Post by pooty »

Is there a way to make the ut2004-bin process the highest priority and other processes (like this web server a low priority)? Something like 'nice' on Linux.
Yes, we've actually paid our provider to give us high priority. You also can pin to a core in Windows, but I don't think I'd do that on a server, since I don't think you can exclude other processes from using it too. UT2004 on the client works better pinned to just one core-- it had no multi-threading.