Master server shutting down on Jan 24th

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Master server shutting down on Jan 24th

Post by pooty »

A shame you can only have one master server. Even venerable DNS allows for multiple servers, shame on the original UT coders for that.

We can certainly switch over to that as that deadline gets closer. And I can post the changes on the www.omnipotents.com page.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

TonyTheSlayer wrote:Unfortunately OldUnreal was able to confirm that Epic Games denied their request to provide community patches for UT2004. This effectively means that players and server owners will need to switch master servers to an alternate (like OpenSpy) before the shutoff date, and things will be business as usual.

While it's super unfortunate that we are not able to get community patches for the game, we can at least keep the game's online functionality kicking. This is only a minor roadblock for what was bound to happen eventually.

As an aside, if you are also a server owner I made a mod[1] that presents players with a menu informing them of the situation and what they need to do. I will be deploying the mod on TUR shortly as well.

As of right now, I plan to have TUR switch master servers to OpenSpy in early January or when the master server is shut down, whichever comes first. I will also post an announcement when that happens.

[1] https://github.com/0xC0ncord/OpenSpyInfo
This seems like a nice mutator that can change the master server for you (probably needed with our crowd).

captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I haven't had my computer this week. Glad I don't have to make it now :lol: Thx concord
ROGER

Post by ROGER »

Edited my ~/.ut2004/System/UT2004.ini (Linux)

Added a line and commented out the others -

Code: Select all

[IpDrv.MasterServerLink]
LANPort=11777
LANServerPort=10777
MasterServerList=(Address="utmaster.openspy.net",Port=28902)
#MasterServerList=(Address="ut2004master1.epicgames.com",Port=28902)
#MasterServerList=(Address="ut2004master2.epicgames.com",Port=28902)
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 10.19.40 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 10.19.40 AM.jpg (140.21 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 10.19.12 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 10.19.12 AM.jpg (80.55 KiB) Viewed 420 times
pooty

Post by pooty »

Good find Anon! That's perfect. I think as far as timing, it'd be good to switch over after the new year unless anyone feels otherwise?
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

captainsnarf wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:05 am I haven't had my computer this week. Glad I don't have to make it now :lol: Thx concord
pooty wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:12 am Good find Anon! That's perfect. I think as far as timing, it'd be good to switch over after the new year unless anyone feels otherwise?
Even more good news:
TonyTheSlayer wrote:I've made another mod to help with the transition. This is a server actor that will allow your server to be listed in multiple master servers (e.g. OpenSpy and Epic's official master server). I've configured my own server to use this so you'll be able to find it in the Server Browser on both OpenSpy and ut2004master1.epicgames.com - no need to worry about which master server your game is using to find it!

https://github.com/0xC0ncord/MasterServerMirror
pooty

Post by pooty »

Perfect. No need to wait then. I'll try to get those on the server this week. Going to be out of town Monday/Tuesday, so I don't want to make the changes today in case something breaks.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:37 am Perfect. No need to wait then. I'll try to get those on the server this week. Going to be out of town Monday/Tuesday, so I don't want to make the changes today in case something breaks.
Thanks pooty! And Anon for finding that mod. Just shows there’s still a big enough community that’s willing to go thru the trouble of making sure this game doesn’t die just yet.

Fuck you Epic!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I tried firing up UT4 this morning and it just hangs at 'looking up account'. It might be dead already.

*edit* looks like it is still working.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Everything updated for Openspy. Listed on both. Auto client change over supported.
See: viewtopic.php?t=500&sid=366ffbff89ae9c1 ... 413dad29c1