Master server shutting down on Jan 24th

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
reshred
Server Sponsor: Yes

Re: Master server shutting down on Jan 24th

Post by reshred »

reshred wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:36 pm a few years back i stopped being able to reload from my multiple disc original game, and so just loaded from Steam, i guess I am gonna be SOL jan 24?
so i bought a new unopened copy of UT2004, loaded it (Single disc) changed the ini file for the alternate server source.
To load any map it does a quick connect and completes quickly [something] to 100%, then painfully slowly attempts to load the map at about .1 % per second, for example, 0.1 % per second as it is loading the 10811K of ONS-Hoover_Dam_V2_Beta 2.4. Same on other maps. I guess I'll go have lunch and see if it loads the whole thing. Any thoughts ? I compared the STEAM (which works ) with the new one's UT2004.ini and nothing jumps out as an explanation
pooty
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

So the master server shouldn't affect anything but just finding the server. Once you connect here to Omni it will automagically update your install to use the new OpenSpy server.

Are you sure you're connecting to the OmnipotentS 2.0 server? and not the older [UTAN] Omnipotents 1.0

You can test your download speed by hitting the website where UT downloads the map from here: https://www.omnipotents.com/omni-ut2004-redirect/

Specifically here's Hoover Dam: https://www.omnipotents.com/omni-ut2004 ... _4.ut2.uz2
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

reshred wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:53 pm
reshred wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:36 pm a few years back i stopped being able to reload from my multiple disc original game, and so just loaded from Steam, i guess I am gonna be SOL jan 24?
so i bought a new unopened copy of UT2004, loaded it (Single disc) changed the ini file for the alternate server source.
To load any map it does a quick connect and completes quickly [something] to 100%, then painfully slowly attempts to load the map at about .1 % per second, for example, 0.1 % per second as it is loading the 10811K of ONS-Hoover_Dam_V2_Beta 2.4. Same on other maps. I guess I'll go have lunch and see if it loads the whole thing. Any thoughts ? I compared the STEAM (which works ) with the new one's UT2004.ini and nothing jumps out as an explanation
I don’t think you needed to go through all that. The game you already bought from Steam should keep working after Jan 24th. The only thing changing is Epic shutting down the master server. They’ve already quit selling it there, but I got mine through Steam years ago and it’s still working fine. Doesn’t it install all the game files on your PC anyway?

And I’m not 100% sure, but if you got a new machine I’d think you could log into your Steam account and install the UT game already bought, should still be in your game library right?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
reshred

Post by reshred »

thanks; we will seE later this month; (still the new one should worK)
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It might be a good idea to backup your CD key. It's in the registry under

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004
As long as you have the files and your key you should be able to play the game.
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Has Epic shut down its servers early? When I search for other games on "Internet" (Onslaught) I only see the [Mia].
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

infinitecat wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:07 am Has Epic shut down its servers early? When I search for other games on "Internet" (Onslaught) I only see the [Mia].
It's working fine for me. When I search the Onslaught game mode, there are 13 active servers.

Now, this is much less than Epic's official master server, but I'm using OpenSpy now. If you've played on Omni recently, you are using OpenSpy too. Maybe that is what you are seeing?
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

I'm using a Mac so maybe the auto-update doesn't work.

Attached is a screen-shot of what I'm currently seeing. Usually it's a zillion (rounded down) numbers of servers.

When I Search the other game-types I get similar results.
Attachments
servers.png
servers.png (184.16 KiB) Viewed 854 times
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Wow that's pretty strange!

Since you are still seeing MIA, something got updated. I wonder if it's a problem with OpenSpy itself?

Are there other servers in the other game modes like DeathMatch?
pooty

Post by pooty »

Try unchecking Standard Servers.

I would keep that always unchecked. That was for filtering servers that had mods that were verified, but given that's stopped a while ago and epic does nothing for UT anymore no reason to have it checked.