ut2004 on godot question?

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
FuriousRabbit

ut2004 on godot question?

Post by FuriousRabbit »

How feasible would it be to have a compatibility layer or something to run our maps and game-styles, freon and onslaught, on a godot engine?
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: ut2004 on godot question?

Post by pooty »

Be quite a bit of legacy code to move it over, and would depend how much all the graphics (meshes, emitters, textures etc.) could get ported over.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The best bet I found so far was here:

https://github.com/dpjudas/UTEngine

It's only UT99 though. Still a ways to go before it would support ut2004.

Maybe combine that with xonotic or another similar game. I thought about a 'godot tournament' game also. It would be a completely new implementation though. That's a fuckton of work. It's why I like modding because it's something one person can do in a weekend.

I saw something called 're-spawn tournament' was released on steam in september. https://steamcommunity.com/app/1590010

Toxikk was another one pretty close.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:21 pm I thought about a 'godot tournament' game also. It would be a completely new implementation though. That's a fuckton of work.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. What are the most difficult tasks?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:55 pm
captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:21 pm I thought about a 'godot tournament' game also. It would be a completely new implementation though. That's a fuckton of work.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. What are the most difficult tasks?
The most realistic thing would be loading the maps. Everything else would have to be completely redone. Players, animations, movement, weapons, etc would all need to be completely remade.

Even Epic didn't do it all themselves. They bought other engines/libraries and glued them all together to make ut2004. The vehicles and skeletal animations all use 'karma' physics. The player animations like Jacob are from something called 'thundercrash'.

A lot of it could be made to work with godot. It has a lot of stuff built in like physics. But it would also be different, and need remaking the game inside godot. That's why I thought it might be better to take an existing game (not just engine like godot) and mod it into UT.

Something like Xonotic, which is a Quake clone, but 100% open source and mostly complete and working. It already has physics and character animations, etc. It just needs UT style movement and weapons to be a good DM alternative. It has scripting also (quakec)
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:21 pm The most realistic thing would be loading the maps. Everything else would have to be completely redone. Players, animations, movement, weapons, etc would all need to be completely remade.

Even Epic didn't do it all themselves. They bought other engines/libraries and glued them all together to make ut2004. The vehicles and skeletal animations all use 'karma' physics. The player animations like Jacob are from something called 'thundercrash'.

A lot of it could be made to work with godot. It has a lot of stuff built in like physics. But it would also be different, and need remaking the game inside godot. That's why I thought it might be better to take an existing game (not just engine like godot) and mod it into UT.

Something like Xonotic, which is a Quake clone, but 100% open source and mostly complete and working. It already has physics and character animations, etc. It just needs UT style movement and weapons to be a good DM alternative. It has scripting also (quakec)
At least you didn't raise any major technical difficulties. This all relates more to art, something we all care less about since we are playing a 20 year old game! The major difficulty is recovering UT style movement and weapons (I guess interpreting opponent animations is important too but assume they're spheres for now). Is the movement information available anywhere? Or would you have to give a pro a tunable model and let them adjust it until it "feels" right?

What is karma physics and how do you know so much about ut2004 details? Just curious.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Also, I wish I was retired. Maybe I should show up drunk at work more often.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Recovering the movement would be pretty straight forward. It's all in the PlayerController class hierarchy in the script source.

Karma physics is a physics engine that Epic bought and added to UT2003. You can read a little about it here - https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Two/K ... rence.html . It was from a company called 'MathEngine'. It is very common in the software industry for companies like Epic to buy libraries like Karma and add them to their own products. I've done this myself for a company I worked for and the 'C3D' engine - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C3D_Toolkit .

All of the details I know about unreal are from making mods. I read *a lot* of source code and docs to be able to make mods, e.g. I know where all the player movement stuff is because I had to look it up in order to mimic it when making the mech mods.
pooty

Post by pooty »

More than you ever want to know about Karma Physics https://docs.unrealengine.com/udk/Two/K ... rence.html

I thought Toxxik did a pretty good job, but it went nowhere, just like UT4. To even make it practical you'd have to have the basic engine done (UE5) and then all the supporting pieces. Seems like there's bits here and there but not enough without as described a fuckton of work.

You'd think in today's world of open source (eg. Apache, Linux Foundation) that more would write more fun stuff like that vs writing boring data analytics stuff. (Sorry I work in the data analytics field). I really think though the gaming industry works now like the film industry -- churn out a title market it, and there's probably an ML model for how much it will make. IMO more for a quick buck than a legacy game.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

The vision would be to re-implement our game with something we can continue to support in the future (not something like UE5). If Omni, HoC, SoL, etc are alive, it is because of all the mods. It would be nice to be able to actually fix bugs and support the modding effort going forward (less gray hair for Snarf too). This is why I suggested Godot. No more getting locked into these jackass companies.

If, as Snarf says, recovering player movement is straightforward, the hardest part might be scorpions and benders. The flyers are free and the tanks and badgers mostly just plod around.

Funny that you bring up ML. I would be fun to train a few bots following e.g., Enyo styles, mid-level, and low-skilled players. Then when Enyo joins in a middle of a match, you could balance it with an "Enyo" bot. A harder goal would be making an effective bot that left the fun vehicles for the human players. We'd have to make Enyo only use scorpions, raptors, and goliaths for training purposes. We could do all this stuff if we had more control.

I didn't download Toxxik but it sure looks nice. I wonder why it died so fast? I guess DM itself is dead even for ut2004. You need the extra spice of nodes/vehicles or freon. That Toxxik only supported windows probably didn't help. I suppose you need to support the console crowd nowadays to get anywhere, maybe even the mobile crowd (fodder?).