UT3

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

UT3

Post by captainsnarf »

It seems like UT3 will be the only UT officially supported in the future.

Would you guys switch to it?

Years ago, when UT3 was new and half the players kept playing UT2004, I tried to get more UT2004 players to play UT3. That's when I started modding.

Here are my UT3 mods:
https://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tour ... ehicles-v9

People were still playing Minus-TMU all day, even back then. To try and get them to play UT3, I made a 'minus' map that is not minus exactly, but inspired by minus. Then I made a lot of the classic vehicle mods, like minotaur, phoenix, falcon, ballista, and some of my own like spanker and some mods based off the weird necris vehicles in UT3.

Nobody really played it though. I'm guessing people will still play UT2004 even if UT3 is the only one officially available.

There is freon for UT3 and also UTComp. A few other mods would be needed imo, like dodge double jump / UT2004 movement, and UT2004 flak cannon.

It didn't work back then. I doubt it would work today, but it's still something I think about.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: UT3

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I've never played it. But if it had vehicles and onslaught I'd definitely be willing to give it a try. Hard to break a 20 year streak though...
pooty

Post by pooty »

I think the question is UT3 or move to something even more modern? I don't know what that is, as I don't think the community modding thing is really around in the newer games -- they need to charge for DLC and microtransactions. Ultimate dream is UE5 based ONS game.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Can we get some kid to rebuild the game in minecraft?
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

You guys are getting fucked by epic and you want more? If that's the philosophy here, I suppose it explains the balancer :D

To your question snarf, if it didn't have a native linux port, I probably wouldn't switch. Hard to say for sure. I might be an addict.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:14 am You guys are getting fucked by epic and you want more?
I have no love for Epic, or any other game company. Seems all anybody can produce these days are death-match games. Compared to team collaborative play like Onslaught, death-match is boring as F for me. I played Quake Capture the Flag for years, it was fun as hell. But when I saw Onslaught and vehicles I was instantly hooked.

Wish list for the next game I get hooked on:
1. Collaborative team play. (Not death-match)
2. Objectives
3. Vehicles
pooty

Post by pooty »

There's several that could be used as replacement:
UT3
OpenTournament
Respawn Tournament
Toxxik

But are there other games that are close? Games that can be modded to produce ONS-like play?
Idk.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

OpenTournament - no updates in 2 years, was a one man show the last time I looked at it. It's probably dead.
Respawn Tournament - This is fairly new (sept 22). It uses UE4. Possible successor to UT4. No scripting support in UE4 so it has limited mod support.

That leaves
UT3 - hey, it's UT. Uses UE3 which has scripting. UE3 is basically UE2 with more stuff and support for consoles.
Toxikk - It uses UE3 also. Came out 8 years after UT3, so it's more modern. It's a beautiful game. It seems to have mod support but not nearly as well documented as UT3 modding. Movement is more similar to UT2004 than UT3.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:35 pm OpenTournament - no updates in 2 years, was a one man show the last time I looked at it. It's probably dead.
Respawn Tournament - This is fairly new (sept 22). It uses UE4. Possible successor to UT4. No scripting support in UE4 so it has limited mod support.

That leaves
UT3 - hey, it's UT. Uses UE3 which has scripting. UE3 is basically UE2 with more stuff and support for consoles.
Toxikk - It uses UE3 also. Came out 8 years after UT3, so it's more modern. It's a beautiful game. It seems to have mod support but not nearly as well documented as UT3 modding. Movement is more similar to UT2004 than UT3.
I played Toxikk the other day because of all the discussion about it and won my first (and so far only) match with ease. I did really like that I could dodge jump and the weapons, although different from UT, felt very familiar. I'm just worried there's not much of a player base for Toxikk either, and seems like there's only DM style play. Would be a great game with an onslaught mode.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

All of us in CS:GO would be fun. It'd have to be a private server though since hundreds of thousands of people are playing that game at any given moment. Team chat and communication is really important, we already seem to have a certain hang going...

The "feel" is totally different though. Everything is made to be realistic... you slow down when you get shot, your aim goes down when moving, spray patterns, headshot with any weapon is instakill etc.