Don't Give Up on UT Yet!!!

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Don't Give Up on UT Yet!!!

Post by captainsnarf »

Anonymous. wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 4:34 pm
captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:24 am I saw one player rage quit over it.
If you're talking about me I had to fix my chair, took longer than I thought.
Naw it was Cornbread. He specifically said "I'm not playing this" and logged out.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Snarf, I can’t believe you find playing the same ONS maps over and over any more boring than playing the same Freon maps over and over. At least in ONS you’re never frozen with nothing to do… talk about boring.

At least SoL does it where you appear somewhere else after you thaw. Prevents all the camping frozen players like on HoC.

Anyway, I think you’re tired of ONS more because mostly what’s left are tank tards and shitstains.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

What's hurting the server a lot is those mid-game crashes after 1 round. Often only about 1/2 the players bother reconnecting.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Enyo wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:09 am Snarf, I can’t believe you find playing the same ONS maps over and over any more boring than playing the same Freon maps over and over. At least in ONS you’re never frozen with nothing to do… talk about boring.

At least SoL does it where you appear somewhere else after you thaw. Prevents all the camping frozen players like on HoC.

Anyway, I think you’re tired of ONS more because mostly what’s left are tank tards and shitstains.
DM/freon is non-stop action for me. Sure you get killed and are frozen, but it's still more fast paced than e.g. sitting in the deemer tank all match, or sitting in a levi on MassD. Talk about boring! On MassD I spend the entire round grabbing a board, getting omfg gun, and killing 1/2 or enemy levi. If core comes up I shoot it with omfg gun. Repeat for 15 minutes. So lame, but it gets voted every night.

The vehicles on our server are too strong. It's suicide to not be in a vehicle, so you are stuck with whatever you get. At least in freon we all spawn with the same weapons. On our server we will be down to our primaries and it's me in a scorpion vs the other team in ion tanks, auroras and minos. I don't find that any fun, on either side. It's not very competitive, but I think that's why everyone likes the randomizers the most. They might get lucky and get super vehicle for themselves and do well that match. It's good for players that are more casual but still want to win. It helps narrow the skill gap.

How do you feel when you are kicking ass in a flyer, only to get killed by a scrubby player with an AVRiL?

And yea, SoL's freon where you appear somewhere else is superior imo. I still play on HoC more because I feel some loyalty to it being an admin on omni. Still hoping to get Carpe to come back some day :lol: He said he would! We'll see...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:56 am DM/freon is non-stop action for me. Sure you get killed and are frozen, but it's still more fast paced than e.g. sitting in the deemer tank all match, or sitting in a levi on MassD. Talk about boring!
You don't EVER have to sit in a stationary vehicle. I don't! Why do you think I'm always calling for a flyer? And I honestly don't give a shit what type... a Raptor is better than almost any tank to me because when you're flying you're always moving. Die, respawn, repeat, no waiting.
captainsnarf wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:56 am The vehicles on our server are too strong. It's suicide to not be in a vehicle, so you are stuck with whatever you get.
Nah... it's all relative and there are always vehicles that have good counters to certain others,, and plenty of foot weapons to counter vehicles. Despite any vehicle's strengths, they all have weaknesses. Half the fun is figuring out what both are. And there are actually tons of really effective tanks now too, so I feel like it's balanced between ground and air.
captainsnarf wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:56 am How do you feel when you are kicking ass in a flyer, only to get killed by a scrubby player with an AVRiL?
No different than hitting some guy in Freon 2 times in a row with a LG followed by 2 flak grenades to the face, and he won't freeze, only to get one LG shot to the back of the head to be frozen by a guy that always seems to know when to be behind you, and then sit for 30+ secs because your teammates are hesitant to thaw you because they know the enemy is camping your frozen ass.When I die in ONS I at least can just grab another vehicle and keep moving.
captainsnarf wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:56 am And yea, SoL's freon where you appear somewhere else is superior imo. I still play on HoC more because I feel some loyalty to it being an admin on omni. Still hoping to get Carpe to come back some day :lol: He said he would! We'll see...
Fuck yeah! Let's go Carpe, and bring your bitch ass HoC crew with you!!! You tell him I said that. And we'll try to bring some OMNI players to HoC. I've seen more of us playing over there lately. Supporting each other's servers seems like the best way to keep this thing going to me :D
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Canon Fodder

Post by Canon Fodder »

Is that the HoC Community Freon server, 74.91.115.167? I want to get that one made a favorite if possible. Never played there though.
pooty

Post by pooty »

What's hurting the server a lot is those mid-game crashes after 1 round. Often only about 1/2 the players bother reconnecting.
Sorry I've been out of town for a few days... are we still getting crashes mid round? How often? The hosting company only keeps logs + 1, so we only have today's log and yesterdays. If it crashes if I don't grab the log right after after the daily reset it gets deleted.

We can set up a thread with other favorite servers -- maybe link in their gametracker if they have it?
captainsnarf wrote: ↑Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:56 am
The vehicles on our server are too strong. It's suicide to not be in a vehicle, so you are stuck with whatever you get.

Nah... it's all relative and there are always vehicles that have good counters to certain others,, and plenty of foot weapons to counter vehicles. Despite any vehicle's strengths, they all have weaknesses. Half the fun is figuring out what both are. And there are actually tons of really effective tanks now too, so I feel like it's balanced between ground and air.
I agree, but you have to change tactics, depending on the vehicle. Almost all the bigger tanks (levis/mino) have some weakness (eg. bio goo for those) or other disadvantage you can exploit.

If there's anything really broken we usually tweak them (eg. Omega, Helix) so that there isn't a way to exploit it (eg. Helix minigun range was longer than shock/avril). That being said its map dependent, sometimes those vehicles don't belong (eg. Mino on AlienHop). I've edited few more maps where the vehicles aren't so OP (eg. AlmatheaTowers) but most seem to prefer the OP Randomizers.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Canon Fodder wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:02 am Is that the HoC Community Freon server, 74.91.115.167? I want to get that one made a favorite if possible. Never played there though.
Yes, but before you can join their server you need to get the connection password. First go to their forum:
http://forums.houseofcarpe.com/

Register, then click on Connect to Servers for instructions on how to get the PW.
― Mark Twain
Xexx

Post by Xexx »

There are way too many insane flyers running around. Now half of them explode once destroyed. It was bad enough when a manta was destroyed and its corpse bounced around murdering everyone while refusing to disappear. The rest one shot you and endlessly spawn from everywhere.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:40 pm
Canon Fodder wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:02 am Is that the HoC Community Freon server, 74.91.115.167? I want to get that one made a favorite if possible. Never played there though.
Yes, but before you can join their server you need to get the connection password. First go to their forum:
http://forums.houseofcarpe.com/

Register, then click on Connect to Servers for instructions on how to get the PW.
It's deathmatch over there, right?