I think we need stronger in-game messaging about server shutdown

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

I think we need stronger in-game messaging about server shutdown

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Last night as the server was winding down, the topic of the master server shutdown came up and TigerWoods had no idea that was even a thing. I suspect he's not alone.

1) My idea, make a quick mod to MasterBath that has the warning written huge on the wall of the map. Like on the blank walls where the center node is. Nobody will miss it there.

2) Or should we as admins change our names to things like "READ ABOUT EPIC" or "SERVER SHUTDOWN SOON" etc? We may lose a lot of players in this. Hopefully they're savvy enough to do a google search after they're locked out.

3) If you search under DM, there's a server with a Rankin map which includes the opnspy as a part of the map, it automatically downloads it for you. Should we add this map to our server and force vote it as admins every so often to force the download onto peoples' computers?
Enyo

Re: I think we need stronger in-game messaging about server shutdown

Post by Enyo »

Pooty had a mod active on the server that launched a message at game startup, even included a link to update the master server to the new OpenSpy server listing. But, it was causing a problem with the team balancer. Pooty, I think the devs for that mod fixed that, maybe we should put the mod back on?

We will almost certainly lose the players that know nothing about the master server shutting down unless they have us saved in their favorites list. I'm willing to bet Joe_Kameltoe, mister I've never dodge jumped once ever in this game, will be just one of many we never see again after 1/24/23. If they're too lazy to learn to dodge jump after a decade plus, they're not going to bother figuring out what happened to all the servers.

Will be interesting to see how many players we have left later this month.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:07 pm Pooty had a mod active on the server that launched a message at game startup, even included a link to update the master server to the new OpenSpy server listing. But, it was causing a problem with the team balancer. Pooty, I think the devs for that mod fixed that, maybe we should put the mod back on?

We will almost certainly lose the players that know nothing about the master server shutting down unless they have us saved in their favorites list. I'm willing to bet Joe_Kameltoe, mister I've never dodge jumped once ever in this game, will be just one of many we never see again after 1/24/23. If they're too lazy to learn to dodge jump after a decade plus, they're not going to bother figuring out what happened to all the servers.

Will be interesting to see how many players we have left later this month.
Yeah in a weird way I think this might turn out to be good. It'll drop all the ghost ship servers and leave just the active players and servers.

I did see JoeKT attempt some dodges when I was texting him the other day! He's pretty hopeless though. Talk about stagnant...
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:07 pm ...
included a link to update the master server to the new OpenSpy server listing.
Wait, wut? There was a link in all that busy screen jibberish to fix the master server problem? Put it back up so I can press the fix-me button.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Should we make a new mutator that simply changes the player's master server to openspy?

No gui. No asking. No checkboxes. No putting them in spectate first. Just change the value and be done with it. ??
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:50 pm Should we make a new mutator that simply changes the player's master server to openspy?

No gui. No asking. No checkboxes. No putting them in spectate first. Just change the value and be done with it. ??
Well that would be the simplest solution. What’s the effort level?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Should we make a new mutator that simply changes the player's master server to openspy?
I think so yes. I don't know if they've fixed the other mutator yet. The code to do it is all there already. I mean the alternative is no servers after the 24th so its not like its going to mess anyone up.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I've put the 111 mutator on the server, we had issues with 102, not sure if they are fixed in 111 but lets try it. If nothing else it will get people's attention.

I also put an updated MB map with a few posters/walls detailing the changes needed
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:00 am I've put the 111 mutator on the server, we had issues with 102, not sure if they are fixed in 111 but lets try it. If nothing else it will get people's attention.

I also put an updated MB map with a few posters/walls detailing the changes needed
I don't recall exactly the wording the mutator puts up when you first go to join a game, but it should say something like "please go ahead and click the update button below." And there shouldn't even be an option to check the "I understand" box without clicking the button to update. People don't read half of anything anymore, we should just force them to update.
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

That's been done for 2 days, lol, no complaints so far.

The new server message says: "Our server updates your master server to OpenSpy, details on the forum"