CHEATERS!!!

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

CHEATERS!!!

Post by captainsnarf »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9arHF19zRQ

Curb stomp the whole lot of them :lol:
FuriousRabbit

Re: CHEATERS!!!

Post by FuriousRabbit »

It's sad. And there's nothing you can do to prevent it except have the server hide the information from the client, but even that you can only take so far. I've been wondering if the server can send fake "honeypot" characters and pull them just before they become visible. Then, use an AI to detect and categorize the player reaction.

Probably a familiar read but worth remembering. This is a 20-year old discussion about Carmack's take on cheating and open vs closed clients:
http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/quake-cheats.html
pooty

Post by pooty »

-joe-cheat

Some of the anti-cheat software we have does have some "countermeasures". And I have caught a handful with cheats -- sad part was most of them were so bad anyway we'd never have known if I had not reviewed the logs...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:11 am -joe-cheat

Some of the anti-cheat software we have does have some "countermeasures". And I have caught a handful with cheats -- sad part was most of them were so bad anyway we'd never have known if I had not reviewed the logs...
Five-time NASCAR cup winner Jimmy Johnson, after something like the 4th time his team was caught cheating, said, "almost everyone here cheats, some are just better at getting away with it than others."
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Is that an admission? ;)

Seriously though, optimized setups, better, bigger monitors as well as smart keybinds can make a huge difference.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:11 am sad part was most of them were so bad anyway we'd never have known if I had not reviewed the logs...
It's one of the reasons I like onslaught. Cheating will only get you so far. On the tank or flyer maps, basic situational awareness is more important than wall hacks or aim bots.

When I want to be abused, I go to SoL or HoC... some of them *are* good, but I suspect a few are at least using wall hacks.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:15 pm
pooty wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:11 am sad part was most of them were so bad anyway we'd never have known if I had not reviewed the logs...
It's one of the reasons I like onslaught. Cheating will only get you so far. On the tank or flyer maps, basic situational awareness is more important than wall hacks or aim bots.

When I want to be abused, I go to SoL or HoC... some of them *are* good, but I suspect a few are at least using wall hacks.
^^ Exactly this. Unfortunately, situational awareness is something a LOT of OMNI players do not have.

I feel the same way about SoL and HoC… I’ve spec’d several of their real good players, and it’s “uncanny” their ability to know when someone is coming around a corner or from behind a wall. Or, when someone is running from them they follow in a different direction and cut them off as if they knew exactly where the other guy would be, often shooting right before they pop into view. Maybe it’s just superb map knowledge.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Maybe it’s just superb map knowledge.
Not much different than Xexx or Army in the mino on Alienhop, they know right where to aim.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Enyo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:32 pm
FuriousRabbit wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:15 pm

^^ Exactly this. Unfortunately, situational awareness is something a LOT of OMNI players do not have.
>Go to a teleporter
>As I approach it, notice JoeKT out of the corner of my view running toward it too
>Pass through portal, turn around and wait a second
>Fire shock ball
>Detonate in his face when he comes through the portal
>"NiCE wAll HaCk!!!"
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It does seem like certain players on the DM servers have wall hacks. There is *no* way they saw me, yet I'll eat triple rockets turning a corner.

I guess they were spamming rockets around a corner, but that's a lot of rocket spam then. You would run out of rockets if you did that around every corner. I suck though, so what do I know.