Keg of Whoopass

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Keg of Whoopass

Post by Enyo »

Saw this years back on the RMD server... it's a health keg that also gives you full shield and double damage. It's no different than putting a keg, a shield and double damage behind the crates at 1/2 on MTMU, but in one package. Would be fun to have that on certain maps, especially on the Randomizers, it would give foot soldiers a way to combat all the super flyers. Maybe make it not super easy to find.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Re: Keg of Whoopass

Post by pooty »

I remember it. Not sure if its on the server, but I have it locally. I'll keep it in mind. Would also be nice on some of the wild card (random) pickups... some cycle through shield, keg, health, DD, and we could add this...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Would also be fun to have some of the relics on the more death match type maps. I think we currently only have them on Tanks a Lot randomizer.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah some of relics work (speed, infancy, health) and some don't seem to work (radiation, vampire etc.) likely they need coding work to work a dedicated server. There's relics on HometheaterBasement, Alien2 and maybe one other one.

I loaded the KegOWhoopass on the server, but its not on any maps yet.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

At first I thought this was a cool item on HomeSweetHome. I made sure to not announce it for a while and keep it to myself, but tonight I finally told the team about it and NOBODY knew what it was. So basically since its addition I've been rolling around with double damage in already OP vehicles with a pretty unfair advantage... And I'm pretty sure prior to tonight only a select few have been "in the know" as well.

Maybe now it'll catch on and balance out. But I'm definitely thinking that the keg + mechs on this map is making things quite frustrating. If you're not in a double damage mech or mino on this map you're pretty much a mosquito.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:36 pm At first I thought this was a cool item on HomeSweetHome. I made sure to not announce it for a while and keep it to myself, but tonight I finally told the team about it and NOBODY knew what it was. So basically since its addition I've been rolling around with double damage in already OP vehicles with a pretty unfair advantage... And I'm pretty sure prior to tonight only a select few have been "in the know" as well.

Maybe now it'll catch on and balance out. But I'm definitely thinking that the keg + mechs on this map is making things quite frustrating. If you're not in a double damage mech or mino on this map you're pretty much a mosquito.
I like the keg, but the mechs are honestly overkill on HSH, it's too tight of a space for them. It's become too much of a stalemate and most of our players aren't bright enough to figure out the workarounds to the mech camping and the UFO portals. I vote to remove the mechs entirely, they're kinda ruining an otherwise very good map.
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Maybe we should add regular HSH (no xmas) to the map list. No mechs or other OP vehicles. old school.

I'm thinking the only reason HSH xmas is popular is because it's an OP-vehicle spamfest. It's the new MassD. If we remove the mechs, do they belong on any map?

I do disagree that flakatron should be modified. It has independent firing timers because it's weaker than the other mechs in most situations. It's pretty strong on HSH but on e.g. junkyard it is one of the weakest mechs. It's really situational.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:11 am Maybe we should add regular HSH (no xmas) to the map list. No mechs or other OP vehicles. old school.
I don't think a plain vanilla old school vehicles version of the map will ever get voted, and I don't think removing just the mechs would make people want to stop playing.
captainsnarf wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:11 am I'm thinking the only reason HSH xmas is popular is because it's an OP-vehicle spamfest. It's the new MassD. If we remove the mechs, do they belong on any map?
It's a good map in general, sorta reminds me of MB because it's an indoor redux map with a couple of node routes, but the mechs don't belong on any map with tight quarters. Would you ever want to see mechs on MB? To answer your question, yes mechs belong on some maps, but only larger open maps and not in closed environments with walls and ceilings.
captainsnarf wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:11 am I do disagree that flakatron should be modified. It has independent firing timers because it's weaker than the other mechs in most situations. It's pretty strong on HSH but on e.g. junkyard it is one of the weakest mechs. It's really situational.
Agree to disagree, but I don't feel like the flak mech is weak on any map. If you learn how to aim the grenades from a distance it kinda plays like a more maneuverable PPC. I really like the flak mech on Ajunk and Dria Rando. The independent firing timer is partly what makes it nearly impossible to kill on HSH.
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I appreciate all the developers' work to maximize vehicles and map architecture. But I do miss the non-spam-fest maps. I suggest making new maps with the enhanced vehicles but leaving the old generic maps available for play. A few of us like those maps. Maybe they won't get voted in during prime time, but some of us have re-arranged our play time to get maps we enjoy playing.

Test case: MasterBath
It's perfect the way it is. Add enhanced vehicles, and it would be ruined. IMO

Worse case: all the generic maps are deleted and replaced with super vehicles, then you have spam fests on and on.
pooty

Post by pooty »

leaving the old generic maps available for play. A few of us like those maps.
Was there some map in particular? Generally if its decent I leave it on, but if its an OG map that doesn't get played at all I'll remove it.

From a map design perspective, I've been moving away from the free for all Randomizer types to more thoughtful vehicle placement. Also more I guess you'd say old school (eg. ChainsIsle2). Most won't play something with just stock/BP vehicles (Scorps, Goliaths, Benders, Raptors, Mantas, Cicadas)... we have plenty of improved vehicles, and part of the thought behind the Damage Reduction thread was to reduce the Damage scaling on many things, because too many one shot kills makes the game, IMO, too frustrating. This can be a function of vehicle and map (eg. Flaktron in the 1/4 room on HSM... put one of the snipers in it.. kills everything even 1600 health warhawk really quick... Close in its a walking mino. But the goal isn't to become the OP fest / Vehicle Instagib.

Doesn't mean maps need to have shitty stock scorpions or hellbenders which are universally pretty useless. For example, I've upgraded Tyrant-Revolution and replaced all the stock scorpions with updated scorps (based on other tyrant version)... plays much better and those vehicles are useful and fun (love sticking mantas with Webcaster). It doesn't have to go all OP. There's a balance on the maps that can be tricky.

I'd rather have maps that require a bit of strategy/coordination like Acerbus last night, where my dumbass team couldn't figure out what to attack/defend vs. MassD semi-mindless spam fest. There's a large portion of the players that don't like anything new, and want to wash, rinse, repeat.

Specifically on HSM, the two mechs that seem to really break it are FlakaTron in 1/4, and Linkatron (link beam decimates flyers nearly instantly). Maybe the answer is longer respawn time? I'm happy to make a non-mech version and see how it plays, but the warhawk would have to go...that would then likely rule the map.