I'm coming back

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: I'm coming back

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

infinitecat wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:15 pm Rhamp has spent a lot of time (10 hours+) on Death Warrant: Spam Vikings. Could be where he got his chops.
Wow 10 hours of ut2004! Dude should get a life.
infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Just sayin' he's no pure noob. He's an impure noob. :lol:
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Welcome back Guy. We replaced you with recordings while you were away. But we still do enough stupid stuff to probably require both pre-recorded and live "commentary". Hmm... I might have to get voice chat sounds working again.
GuythatkillsU

Post by GuythatkillsU »

Sadly, Its taking longer than I was thinking, turns out my decades old trusty computer is obsolete, it won't run Win 11 easily because of drivers for the chipset running the hard drive. I bought a new x570 MB. I need to get some DDR4 RAM and a Ryzen 3600?? if anyone has a used one the'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price, please let me know

infinitecat

Post by infinitecat »

Just buy a used Mac, unless you're interested in using the many and varied PC-only hacks then.... uh.......

Never mind.

:lol:
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

GuythatkillsU wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:11 am Sadly, Its taking longer than I was thinking, turns out my decades old trusty computer is obsolete, it won't run Win 11 easily because of drivers for the chipset running the hard drive. I bought a new x570 MB. I need to get some DDR4 RAM and a Ryzen 3600?? if anyone has a used one the'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price, please let me know

Got your image working. Do you know if you can get Windows 10 working? It doesn't have the ridiculous installation requirements that Windows 11 has. You can activate it using https://github.com/massgravel/Microsoft ... on-Scripts, I activated Server 2022 Datacenter ($6155 MSRP) using that tool in mere seconds.

Also I don't want to shit in your cereal but if you plan on only playing UT2004 I think you might be better off with an i3-12100(f) (and compatible board) as it has ~35% faster single-threaded performance.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah I second no Windows 11. It has this thing called S mode which is a pain, it won't let you install anything except via MS store. You can deactivate it though. Stick with the older versions of Windows especially for UT2004 imo.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I've been playing on an old bigscreen iMac. I'm sure what I have could be found for cheap. It's probably ten years old by now.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

If you're strapped for cash, I'd highly recommend installing Linux (Ubuntu) instead of Windows. Typically, Linux has great support for older hardware unless you are using something really esoteric. A few of us use Linux for ut2004 (myself, Roger, presumably FragMaster@Linux). You can also install Steam and play a number of games on Linux. E.g., Witcher3 works perfect. Lately I've been playing cyberpunk 2077 without issue (no ray tracing but I can live without it).

Windows 11 is a horror show. Did you know they're running a hypervisor behind the scenes for "out-of-operating-system" security? Frankly, you guys keep getting fucked over by MS and it's just going to get worse. Monthly subscriptions are next. May as well switch now.

BTW, if you're really desperate, I can send you a working ~10 year old desktop, but it would be running Linux. Looks like most of your hardware is more recent though. I have a couple of old machines lying around... may as well get rid of them before my wife gets on my case.
GuythatkillsU

Post by GuythatkillsU »

Thanks for the help with the image, Anonymous. I'm proud of that build and wanted to show it off a bit before I tear it down. I'm definitely not strapped for cash but I am extremely frugal and get enjoyment from maximizing my value for money. I was originally trying to keep my upgrade around $200 and have never had an AMD system so I'm excited to learn what hardware is available. I've really happy with my build for the last 10 years but it looks like its time to upgrade my old x3363 Xeon. Today, I have decided to stretch my budget a bit more and look for a Ryzen 5600x Hexcore to take me the next ten years or maybe longer and see what modern games might be available to play around with. I would like to dink around with Linux a bit but I need something that works without too much fiddling as I don't have a lot of time like I used to. Its sad that Windows 7 isn't supported anymore as I would gladly pay for updates to keep using my perfectly good hardware. I will take your guys' suggestion and install Win 10, thank you. Can you still buy ut2004 on steam?