Vehicle spawn protection

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
FuriousRabbit

Vehicle spawn protection

Post by FuriousRabbit »

We didn't have this before did we? I find it super annoying and am curious what others think. What is the motivation for it?

I guess it mostly pisses me off in MB where I'm "trained" to take down the tank as soon as I see it. It's not like you get much time behind enemy lines before someone takes you down. So it's, shoot the tank... nope nothing... shoot again... still nothing... then I'm dead!

Or worse, someone gets in the tank while you're dumping flak to no effect watching the turret rotate your way... then you're dead!

Half of the fun in MB is "special operations" behind enemy lines (ask Roger or Terminator) and this "spawn protection" really goes against that ethos.

I hate in on every map though. Been wanting to bitch about this for a while. Finally got it out. I feel better now :)
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Vehicle spawn protection

Post by Enyo »

It’s intended to thwart Xexx-like dbag spawn killing at locked nodes/core. Gives you that split second to get in a vehicle and counter before he dragon bombs everything into oblivion for cheap kills and his pure joy of pissing you off.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

We have player spawn protection (4 seconds).

Some maps have vehicles that have it, although I don't think many...in fact I can't remember which one(s) have it. I don't think any of the recent ones do. MB doesn't have it. I agree with not having it except maybe in special circumstances.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Yeah we have pretty generous spawn protection on this server (which few people know how to utilize). I don’t think vehicles should have it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I upped it a while back because there was plenty of spawn camping at nodes and now it at least gives you a chance to dodge away.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:04 pm I upped it a while back because there was plenty of spawn camping at nodes and now it at least gives you a chance to dodge away.
It still protects you while loading triple rockets. If the knockback isn't too bad, it only takes a couple of spawns to take out an offender.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

MB definitely has vehicle spawn protection it. Valarna today reminded me of another reason why I hate it. If you're on foot near an enemy node that is just built, you have no chance against the protected vehicles.

I think the player spawn protection is well balanced.
pooty

Post by pooty »

MB definitely has vehicle spawn protection it. Valarna today reminded me of another reason why I hate it. If you're on foot near an enemy node that is just built, you have no chance against the protected vehicles.
Masterbath does not have vehicle spawn protection. You can damage/destroy unoccupied locked vehicles. I just tested it on the server to be 100% sure.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Really? I'm judging by hit sounds but I see about 4s of protection after it spawns. So either a) I'm crazy, b) it's just my client, or c) you changed something in the last week.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yep. So players get 6s of spawn protection. That does not AFAIK apply to vehicles. There's nothing in the base vehicle code for it -- you can set bSpawnProtected on a vehicle which it will take no damage until entered, but no timer logic at all.

There is a 2 sec delay for the "spawn effect" think the graphics that is spawning, it cannot be damaged for that 2s, as it has to spawn (come into play) first. But it should take damage immediately.

And hit sounds are lower "priority" so they aren't 100% indicators of doing damage.