Textures on redirect

General Comments, Questions about all things OmnipotentS that don't go in other topics/forums
TotalBurn

Textures on redirect

Post by TotalBurn »

I wanted to give you guys a heads up on a couple textures that may be on the redirect.

AW-Cubes.utx @ 11 kb should be 1,264 kb
CubeMaps.utx @ 34 kb should be 9,538 kb

Im pretty sure a while back I grabbed them from the redirect in order to play a couple maps offline. I only realized I had a problem with those files because water textures were missing from some maps and some translucent effects were also missing. I had a backup from years ago and all my map glitches are fixed.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Textures on redirect

Post by pooty »

So are you saying those two should be smaller? I'll take a look later what I have and post them up.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

Sorry I wasnt clear. The files mentioned on the redirect should be larger. They are missing some textures, shaders etc.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Those files come with the game. They shouldn't even be on the redirect.
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

Just over a year ago, I downloaded an omni hosted map to play offline and got errors that those two files were missing. So I downloaded the ones on the redirect and overwrote mine. The map then worked. I wish I could remember which map it was. Surely its been edited since then or maybe removed. It took me this long to put 2 and 2 together lol

Lesson learned, dont overwrite your files. Least I had a backup.
pooty

Post by pooty »

This might explain it
https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads ... or.198355/

Seems there were some errors/missing textures that people copied over. Not sure what ones I have on my computer vs. server though.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Hmm, it seems the missing textures are mostly being used by the vehicle factories when they display a static mesh.

Vehicles basically have two meshes, the mesh and static mesh. During play, you only ever see the mesh. During map editing, you see the static mesh.

So this warning

Code: Select all

Warning: Missing Cubemap Cubemap AW-Cubes.Cubes.PS_Cube
Warning: Missing TexEnvMap TexEnvMap AW-Cubes.Cubes.SunC
can be safely ignored. It changes nothing during play. It only affects placing the vehicles in the editor. In the editor, vehicle windows may not be shiny. Who cares :lol:
TotalBurn

Post by TotalBurn »

pooty wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:30 am This might explain it
https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads ... or.198355/
Seems there were some errors/missing textures that people copied over. Not sure what ones I have on my computer vs. server though.
Thats very likely. The map I recall was an old school map that no one ever played, which is why I grabbed it off the server.

Definitely check and compare files and make sure you have the correct ones.
captainsnarf wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:10 pm ...can be safely ignored. It changes nothing during play. It only affects placing the vehicles in the editor. In the editor, vehicle windows may not be shiny. Who cares :lol:
I wish that were all. During play nn numerous maps, there are shiny, glossy. metal, glass style textures not rendered correctly. Water gets reduced to a translucent black sheet. I even wonder if my client side lag could have been related in part to this file issue. Disabling dynamic lighting could have just been a work around seeing as though I couldnt display anything shiny, reflective, fluid etc.

But like you said, those files shouldnt be on there anyway. I made the error of DL them.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Safely ignored as the beyondunreal forum post says.

Someone saw the error

Code: Select all

Warning: Missing Cubemap Cubemap AW-Cubes.Cubes.PS_Cube
and decided to fix it by messing with that AW-Cubes package. They should have just left it alone and ignored it, safely :D 8-)
pooty

Post by pooty »

UT doesn't seem to care either way
I had the 1.264 kb AW-Cubes.utx, and happily played. I replaced it with the 11kb version yesterday and happily played last night.

On a side note it if gets rid of the UE message about missing stuff it'd be worth it... a few maps show that warning and I've been ignoring them.