ONS-Urban

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

ONS-Urban

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

This can go on the backest of back burners for a rainy day...

But I think this map would play much better if:

A) Turtle is removed (it's pretty much impossible destroy at the center node before your nodes get cutoff elsewhere)
2) Node setup is changed to have fewer cutoffs
D) Slight vehicle changes

OR just make it a tank-me-up or randomizer map with very few flyers. Or maybe this could be a hellbender/scorpion feature map?

This map lies in that bottom 20% area of the map list that is truly unplayed. I'm sure there's a magic formula in there somewhere for playability but I doubt anyone wants to put that much effort into it. I think some of these quick swaps could bring some life to it.
pooty

Re: ONS-Urban

Post by pooty »

Yes, I can do it. I've been taking the Classic maps and giving them a quick once over (eg. Crossfire-V5, Evergreen) with fixes/vehicle updates, especially the ones that were fun years ago and don't get played now like this one.

Urban is pretty awful with the Turtle I agree. I think it was better stock, with levi.

I think it might work close to stock, just replace the nearly useless scorps with a few of the other scorp variants, and upgrade the trucks. Golitah is probably fine.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

It’s funny how maps like this got tons of play back on the old server but now it gets ignored.

100% agreed, replace the Turtle with a Paladin or Aegis like it used to be. Stock vehicles were fine on this map too, maybe update the scorpions/truck like you suggested. Maybe add a firebug or something like that to spice it up.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

EONS scorpions and whatever the fast scorp is... the red/blue one. Tarantula? Maybe a gratuitous amount of them. I don't think an "urban" map would seem odd with the node areas and the center underground areas acting like vehicle garages.

Perhaps the node setup can be modeled after Nevermore. It'll then be a mini version of that map. It's kind of the same terrain/vibe anyway. You can take the clockwise or counter clockwise route. The corners each link to the center node which can be your cutoff node.

The fire tanks are awesome on here though... the kind that are on DJunk.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok I whipped up ONS-Urban-)o(-V2

No Turtle, a few tanks, firebug and variety of scorps. (Still has Cicada, Raptors, Mantas). Surprisingly no Boost/EONS scorps..they get hung up on stuff too easily so hard to use the boost. Fire Tank is the Omni Fire Tank that the randomizers use (not the flame tank -- which would dominate this map)

And oh yeah, levis are back! I always hated the Turtle/no levi version.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Sweet. Yeah I think that’ll really help. Otherwise that map felt pretty yesteryear
pooty

Post by pooty »

I did change this, I moved Firetank to the cores, and the GoliathII to 1/2. Should help when you lose the primaries.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I think it played pretty well. That comeback was pretty good, but our team was stoopid...even with the two levis, comebacks are possible, just need enough players. I think like 5v5 the levi would be too much, but with more they aren't that hard to kill.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Crap... I guess I'm the weirdo who likes the turtle and dislikes the levis.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:50 am Crap... I guess I'm the weirdo who likes the turtle and dislikes the levis.
I barely notice the levis, but the turtle is way OP and too difficult to kill when it gets down to the middle node.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain