Death Message Color

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Death Message Color

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Hey is it possible to change the death message color back to just green? The team colors make team chats basically useless, whereas before it felt people could see them and read them.

If possible to mod, can the death messages be made smaller font or less opaque while actual chats are bigger font and/or more bold color?
captainsnarf

Re: Death Message Color

Post by captainsnarf »

Are these options not sufficient?

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Those are good options but I'm thinking of the receiving end. If I change those settings then only I see them.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:28 am Those are good options but I'm thinking of the receiving end. If I change those settings then only I see them.
Shouldn't the receiving end have the same choice? Maybe they want to see team colors etc?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

I get what you're saying, but I doubt most people understand how to do that. And I've noticed a significant drop off in people responding to chats since the colors have changed. Now they're nearly useless, especially team texts which are in the lighter green.

So even with this option available, to me they're clearly not doing anything about it anyway. The text chat function was already a less efficient way to communicate compared to voice, and now it feels like it's basically gone. Someone will ask a question, and I'll reply the answer to it numerous times in text and they'll not see it.

"where is their nuke tank"
"it's at their core"
"where is thier nuke tank"
"ITS AT THEIR CORE"
"guise nobody communicates on our team!"

So maybe I should clarify my original question: Is it possible to change the text color server-wide so messages made by players stand out amongst the barrage of death messages?

Inb4 someone says start using your mic more: Due to the setup I have at home, using the mic is not always going to happen with me.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I think the bigger issue is the continued spam of death messages makes it hard to spot text chat. You can turn off Death Messages in the game, but its on by default.

I think the idea of making them stand out more is a good one. Maybe a larger font and single color for text chat.

Maybe first we look at default UTComp message settings. And since UTComp is controlling the color we should have control over other aspects of it.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Might be beyond this game's capability but is even like a little ding or tick sound possible for each text? I remember Battlefield 1942 has this little click sound that wasn't too intrusive.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:23 am I think the bigger issue is the continued spam of death messages makes it hard to spot text chat. You can turn off Death Messages in the game, but its on by default.
Thank you for mentioning this. I didn't know you could turn them off. So annoying.

I found the page to turn these off.

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

I've played with death messages off in the past. I was surprised how quick I turned it back on. Even though it's really fast info, it's nice to have as it gives you a good sense of the game happening around you. McLovin I'm curious to see if you find you're the same way.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:44 pm ...
Even though it's really fast info,
My beef with those messages now is they appear and disappear very quickly. I'm looking at the gameplay and I thought somebody messaged something that I missed, so I go look at the messages and it only was those gosh darn death messages.