Damage Reductions...

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Damage Reductions...

Post by pooty »

Starbolt 2.51

Lasers, fire rate reduced from .13333 to .15, Damage per second reduced from 200 pts/s to 190 pts/s has vehicle damage scaling, so players take less. Basically players take 20 pts per laser hit.

Starbolt Bomb, this got a pretty big reduction. Now before your hair gets on fire enyo, this was a bit broken.
Dragon Bomb: 600pts damage, 2048 Radius, 125000 momentum transfer.
2.5 Starbolt Bomb: 500 pts damage, 850 Radius, 1250000 momentum... just too powerful compared to dragon bomb, especially for a super fast, agile flyer...
2.51 Starbolt Bomb: 250 pts players, 375 to vehicles, 850 Radius, 90000 momentum. And with VehicleScaling, players could survive with keg/shield. Lets see how that does. I don't want to make it so the bomb is too puny. It takes out a full node (Torlan) with three hits.

Flight characteristics unchanged.
FYI Flare Raptor is 350 pts Damage, no vehicle scaling, 650 Radius, 125000 momentum.
So starbolt has less damage, but bigger radius, less momentum.

Torn that the starbolt bomb is still too much compared to Flare Raptor, but I didn't want to overnerf and we don't always need clear heirarchy of everything...

Also, I cleaned up the class names in the starbolt. It used the same class names from FlareBomb as FlareRaptor (lazy on my part when I built the StarboltV2) which meant that it was possible depending on which vehicle loads first/how loaded in the map that they would have the same Flarebomb since they were both called same thing. This should make sure its consistent.

And not just your mods Snarf... ;)
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

I personally don't have any issues playing into a starbolt since its so weak (3 shock rifle shots and its dead, just aim). I usually pick a different flier due to how weak it is. Sure it does a bunch of damage, but when you die in under 3 seconds to someone on foot who can aim, that damage is useless. The rapid fire lasers it shoots is a giant "shoot me, I'm here" to the enemy team.

Arbiter changes look good since it felt absolutely horrible to fly earlier.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Rhamp wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:20 pm I personally don't have any issues playing into a starbolt since its so weak (3 shock rifle shots and its dead, just aim). I usually pick a different flier due to how weak it is. Sure it does a bunch of damage, but when you die in under 3 seconds to someone on foot who can aim, that damage is useless. The rapid fire lasers it shoots is a giant "shoot me, I'm here" to the enemy team.
This exactly. All the good shots on the server had no problem taking out the Starbolt in not 3 shots but 2… one lg shot and one shock rifle kills it. The thing is made of paper, I believe those weapons do extra damage to it if I remember right
. Pooty, with the new nerfs you should remove the extra damage the Starbolt takes from foot weapons or increase its health some. Otherwise I won’t even get in it anymore.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Pooty, with the new nerfs you should remove the extra damage the Starbolt takes from foot weapons or increase its health some. Otherwise I won’t even get in it anymore.
Yes, let me double check that. Its still pretty easy to hit...it really doesn't need the extra damage.

Ok. Yep took double from shock, minigun and LG. Will remove it. I also think we can increase the health slightly from 200 to 225.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:09 pm Ok. Yep took double from shock, minigun and LG. Will remove it. I also think we can increase the health slightly from 200 to 225.
Ok, so the nerfs weren’t too bad after trying it out, but it does still die quite easily so those changes will help. Definitely takes longer to kill stuff with it, which is fine.

One thing I noticed, and not sure if it’s the momentum setting you changed on the bomb (what does that do exactly?), but now it’s even easier to kill yourself with the bomb when you swoop low to drop it on something. Thought I just messed up the first time, but the 2nd and 3rd time I killed myself bombing someone I knew there was something different about the way it drops. Why is that happening now and is there a way to fix that?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

One thing I noticed, and not sure if it’s the momentum setting you changed on the bomb (what does that do exactly?), but now it’s even easier to kill yourself with the bomb when you swoop low to drop it on something. Thought I just messed up the first time, but the 2nd and 3rd time I killed myself bombing someone I knew there was something different about the way it drops. Why is that happening now and is there a way to fix that?
I didn't change and of the bomb drop characteristics, the reduced momentum is from the bomb explosion, think of as how much knockback the bomb does. I'll double check when I make the changes to the health/damage, that there isn't an accidental change or typo.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:19 pm
I didn't change and of the bomb drop characteristics, the reduced momentum is from the bomb explosion, think of as how much knockback the bomb does. I'll double check when I make the changes to the health/damage, that there isn't an accidental change or typo.
Gotcha... can't put my finger on what exactly is different, but the bomb drops differently now. Me and another player were noticing we were killing ourselves a lot easier when you drop it close in to something.
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Starbolt 2.52, on server.
Removed Extra Damage from hand weapons.
Increased Health to 225

As for the bomb this:
Also, I cleaned up the class names in the starbolt. It used the same class names from FlareBomb as FlareRaptor (lazy on my part when I built the StarboltV2) which meant that it was possible depending on which vehicle loads first/how loaded in the map that they would have the same Flarebomb since they were both called same thing. This should make sure its consistent.
I suspect it was often using the FlareRaptor's bomb (both were called 'FlareBomb'), which has a much slower drop speed that the one now coded StarbotlFlareBomb. I made the starbolt's match. When I cleaned up the classes, the starbolt bomb dropped much faster (5600 vs 1600) which is probably when you dropped it hit faster thus catching the bolt in the explosion since it happened sooner. This is exactly the inconsistencies cleaning up the class names prevents...
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:55 am Starbolt 2.52, on server.
Removed Extra Damage from hand weapons.
Increased Health to 225

I suspect it was often using the FlareRaptor's bomb (both were called 'FlareBomb'), which has a much slower drop speed that the one now coded StarbotlFlareBomb. I made the starbolt's match. When I cleaned up the classes, the starbolt bomb dropped much faster (5600 vs 1600) which is probably when you dropped it hit faster thus catching the bolt in the explosion since it happened sooner. This is exactly the inconsistencies cleaning up the class names prevents...
OK, so the Starbolt bomb now drops faster, correct? If so that's fine, just good to be aware so I can consciously adjust bomb timing and distance to target during play.
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

No slower.

When I updated it, it was faster, much faster 5600 vs 1600. So you'd swoop in drop and it would likely explode right away, and probably catching you in the damage radius vs. having some fall time. Try it out. I can adjust it if needed. I think the idea is swoop in, drop and scoot-scoot away then it explodes.