Game stuck on loading screen

Got a Glitch? Always Lagging? Need help with anything technical? Want to move off Windows XP?
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Game stuck on loading screen

Post by pooty »

Wonder if its one of the vehicles? You mentioned Mechs had issues...
And any warnings/errors in the logs?

I can't test Mac anymore, the more recent updates of MacOS won't let UT2004 run....
For everything else serious I do (graphic design, 3D rendering and video editing) the Mac vastly outperforms. :P
Ah the ol' Mac vs PC. I have both. I use Mac for work, super stable. PC/Windows for home use, its much better than years ago when Windows was just about the crappiest OS you could buy. My old work Mac in 5 years never locked up, never crashed. Go back to the older Windows you'd be lucky to make 5 days, however, the newer stuff seems to work fine, although I like MacOS a little better (linux/unix shell > powershell > dos shell.)
I do like that you can build out a PC and upgrade components.

But I still miss my favorite-- Solaris.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:07 am ...
But I still miss my favorite-- Solaris.
Exactly! My fav also. The most stable OS of all time. We still have servers running, but most of them have been virtualized without the native hardware anymore. We had a Sun machine about 10 years back that had been running since the 80s and had never needed to be rebooted. I blame that F-head Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO). They bought Sun MicroSystems only for Java. Then threw the rest away. Idiots!
pooty

Post by pooty »

We had a Sun machine about 10 years back that had been running since the 80s and had never needed to be rebooted. I blame that F-head Larry Ellison (Oracle CEO). They bought Sun MicroSystems only for Java. Then threw the rest away. Idiots!
Yep. Mr. McNealy even admitted they should have doubled down on Solaris x86 ( I worked for Sun for 9 years) and there wouldn't have been any of this Linux stuff. Solaris on x86 was just as stable as Solaris on SPARC.

And Oracle is known for ruining acquistions. I worked for another company (Endeca) that got acquired by Oracle.

They've arguably messed up Java (Java 11, where you have to pay vs. it was always freely available to the developer)
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

I was thoroughly impressed the first time I installed and used Solaris (actually OpenIndiana) for a file server. I never really appreciated it until it was gone :( though. Same for DEC actually.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:38 pm ...
I worked for Sun for 9 years)
Ah pooty, you da man! I got to go for a few days to a Sun site in Sunnyvale (I think) for SunOS admin training. Probably early 90s. It wasn't the main campus or anything, but I felt like I was in Nirvana. The main problem with working down in Silicon Valley was the house you could afford would be 4 hours away. That's what a friend who worked down there had to do. The joke they told was, "You could tell how much somebody made, by how far or close their commute time was to the office."
pooty

Post by pooty »

Sun had offices all over the valley, huge one in Menlo Park, but also Sunnyvale, Mountain View and HQ was in Palo Alto, you couldn't drive down the 101 without seeing Sun Logos....I miss that. Kind of insane how many campuses there were during the hey day. I was based in Michigan, but used to go there at least once a quarter... now too much is done over Zoom/Teams etc. I've worked for my current company for 3 1/2 years and never been to the SF based HQ. (I started during Covid thingy, so all initial training was virtual...)
, "You could tell how much somebody made, by how far or close their commute time was to the office."
Very True, and still true today, although I have to believe with several of the companies leaving, heading to Austin, it might ease just a bit.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

DesertJunkyard Randomizer --- worked
Minus Randomizer ---- didn't load
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok, I suspect there's a vehicle thats messing you up.

Desert has a much smaller subset of vehicles.

Bad news is that leaves over 40 potential ones, and its probably something that isn't popular.

Try loading the Randomziers for offline play, does AJY-Rando or Dria-Rando load?
There's also ZeroImpact and Volcano High.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So one thing that occurs to me since you're on a Mac. MacOS File system is case senstitive, eg. LIPPlasmaTank.u and LIPPlasmatank.u (I use this example as we had issues in the past with that package, but that tank is on both DJY and KS) are different files on Mac, whereas Windows is case insensititive those are same file. Server is windows. So if the server wants LIPPlasmatank.u and the mac only has LIPPlasmaTank.u it should error with missing file, but maybe that error is getting buried, perhaps its a textures or mesh somewhere.

Try those maps locally and check the UT2004.log.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Yeaaahhhhhhhh, if the issue is what pooty describes, it would be very simple to fix if you send us your UT2004.log on any map that crashes.