Nightly Reset Of Map Pool

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Judas

Nightly Reset Of Map Pool

Post by Judas »

Would it be possible to automate resetting of the map pool around like 9:30pm EST each night? I'm asking because a number of popular maps, such as Arctic Junkyard Randomizer, are always unavailable for the duration of the time in which the server is most active. Thanks!
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Nightly Reset Of Map Pool

Post by pooty »

Resets aren't usually meant for that.
However, here's where the issue is the Map Repeat Limit, its the number of maps to be played before a map can be played again.
Currently its set to 12.

So it looks like the early birds are voting this map: https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mapstats.php?map=8

We play around 9-10 maps a night 7ish to Midnight.

The idea was to avoid playing JY, Minus, JY, Minus, wash rinse repeat, but I understand what you want, as AJY-Rando hasn't been played later in a while.

viewtopic.php?p=9916&sid=239022369c5a82 ... 005a#p9916
viewtopic.php?p=7880&sid=239022369c5a82 ... 005a#p7880

So I'll leave this to the community, and we had a poll a while back. However it was more of a split decision, some wanted more variety, some wanted the same 4-5 maps, as new ones are too hard to learn.

One compromise, is we reduced the limit to say 5 or 6, but expect some of the admin's to exercise "Admin's choice" and force a less popular map for variety maybe even once a night.

Its funny how maps take a while to become "favorites", as the primary map editor it does take about 5-10 revisions to fine tune the map, however we've had several that intially weren't well received that over time became much more popular (NVM-YEAHHHHHHH comes to mind).
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok I thought about it and set repeat limit to 6. For those of us that want variety we can vote it, or get one of us admins to force something different.

I will say when less played maps get forced, please play, and provide feedback. If the maps are really shitty, I'll remove them.
Judas

Post by Judas »

pooty wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:10 am The idea was to avoid playing JY, Minus, JY, Minus, wash rinse repeat
I totally agree with this sentiment -- I remember about 8 years ago where an entire evening was MTMU maps with Desert Junkyard variations. It gets stale quickly.

I definitely support less-played maps getting forced once in a while. Thank you for the prompt action.
4Doors

Post by 4Doors »

pooty wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:10 am So I'll leave this to the community, and we had a poll a while back. However it was more of a split decision, some wanted more variety, some wanted the same 4-5 maps, as new ones are too hard to learn.

One compromise, is we reduced the limit to say 5 or 6, but expect some of the admin's to exercise "Admin's choice" and force a less popular map for variety maybe even once a night.

Its funny how maps take a while to become "favorites", as the primary map editor it does take about 5-10 revisions to fine tune the map, however we've had several that intially weren't well received that over time became much more popular (NVM-YEAHHHHHHH comes to mind).
What if we had a thread where we could see pictures of map layouts? We'd be able to study them w/o having to play them, and we'd be able to make suggestions on how to improve said layouts.
Bruh im just tryna be famous
pooty

Post by pooty »

What if we had a thread where we could see pictures of map layouts? We'd be able to study them w/o having to play them, and we'd be able to make suggestions on how to improve said layouts.
Just download them and play them. Either someone has to do that already to screenshot them, whether its the map/layout/nodemap, then save them name them and upload them. Seems like it'd just be easier to download them.

If it makes life easier I can zip up all the current maps into one big bundle for download.