Remove Hornet From Server

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Remove Hornet From Server

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

We played MantaMadness tonight and the Hornet dominated. I think people just can't figure this thing out. It's a combination of people not using it because it looks like a standard manta and others wondering how it never has to touch the ground. I know those are noob excuses but it's still mass confusion. Plus they can just sit back and troll nodes from afar which to me breaks the map.

It's confusing for me to look at, too. I'll see a manta the usual muscle memory kicks in for how to counter a manta and suddently wtf it's a raptor.

I see no reason for this thing to exist. If we want this type of vehicle anywhere it should just be a raptor.
pooty

Re: Remove Hornet From Server

Post by pooty »

No disagreement here. It doesn't look different enough to be able to tell. Once you know though its pretty easy to kill with avril as its pretty slow. But not sure why a manta that's basically a machine gun raptor.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

It's a really old vehicle mod. It's not very powerful. I don't see a reason to remove it from the server. Maybe remove it from MantaMadness if it dominates there but it's really map specific. It works fine on AirMars where I first saw it debut.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Maybe make it a brighter yellow (and black) color?

We have lamprey manta in the link vehicles that's pretty similar, but it has short range and distinct color/appearance.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I have no problem with the hornet, but it should be a different color scheme. Black and yellow makes sense.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

So I created an updated Hornet. HornetOmni 1.0

- Changed Skins -- added some bright yellow...basically to the Wyvern type skin. (Not sure it looks great, but definitely noticable.. and if anyone wants to submit nicer ones and has some good graphic skills... please do...)

- Updated the Minigun.
Range now 15000, was 20000 (outside of Avril (15000)/Shock (17000) at 20000).
Damage now ~107 pts/sec, compared to say Badger ~150 pts/sec. Change is that the hornet was firing very slow with much more powerful shots (18-25), now its just a bit slower than a badger with lesser damage (15-17). Bottom line minigun is much less powerful than a badger.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:59 pm So I created an updated Hornet. HornetOmni 1.0

- Changed Skins -- added some bright yellow...basically to the Wyvern type skin. (Not sure it looks great, but definitely noticable.. and if anyone wants to submit nicer ones and has some good graphic skills... please do...)

- Updated the Minigun.
Range now 15000, was 20000 (outside of Avril (15000)/Shock (17000) at 20000).
Damage now ~107 pts/sec, compared to say Badger ~150 pts/sec. Change is that the hornet was firing very slow with much more powerful shots (18-25), now its just a bit slower than a badger with lesser damage (15-17). Bottom line minigun is much less powerful than a badger.
If I’m reading that right, it seems it’s now been super nerfed. I always felt like it was pretty weak to start with. Sounds like now a badger or any anti-air lasers will be able to shred this thing before it can do any kind of damage back. At least it’s not on very many maps.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

If I’m reading that right, it seems it’s now been super nerfed. I always felt like it was pretty weak to start with. Sounds like now a badger or any anti-air lasers will be able to shred this thing before it can do any kind of damage back. At least it’s not on very many maps.
It does about the same amount of damage (107 pts/s), only the range changed. I just posted the badger for reference noting the badger gun is way more powerful.

Standard Minigun range is 15000. Not balanced to have a flyer that can kill you but your hand weapons all fall short... Having a flyer than can kill with nearly invisible shots and your shock rifle nor avirl can hit isn't balanced.

I think of it a more of sneaky type vehicle. The idea is it can get places non-flyers can't. Now I could make a SuperHornet.....lol.

Its only a few maps anyway... I do agree its kind of messed up being a flying manta....we have raptors and other flyers. I really think this was done by someone hacking at code way back...
pooty

Post by pooty »

So Enyo complaining the hornet is nerfed.

Original hornet
FireInterval=0.200000
DamageMin=18
DamageMax=25
Average Damage (18+25)/2 * (1/.2) = 107.5 pts sec

OmniHornet
FireInterval=0.150000
DamageMin=15
DamageMax=17
(15+17/2) * (1/.15) = 106.6 = pts sec.

Badger is 150 pts/sec (15,15,.1) = 150 pts/sec

I could be convinced to increase the Hornet damage slightly, maybe 115 pts/sec or even 120.

The bigger change is that the RANGE got reduced to standard minigun range 15000. Range before was 20000.
And as been discussed, Shock Rifle Range is 17000, Avril 15000. We should not have fliers that can damage you when you are on foot and cannot hit them back... that's pretty much the equivalent of shooting someone in the back.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

What’s the Badger’s range?

And can we come up with an alt fire for the Hornet? It just feels like a somewhat useless vehicle, especially compared to something like the Mirage Raptor. And please don’t start nerfing the MR because it’s more powerful .
― Mark Twain