AirMars

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
FuriousRabbit

Re: AirMars

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Enyo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:22 am I'd rather see Slated get updated with our newer flyers or get a randomizer version.
Agreed. Slated is a much better flyer map than AirMars. And since we never play Slated either, every time we play AirMars is a wasted opportunity.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by Enyo »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:14 pm
Enyo wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:22 am I'd rather see Slated get updated with our newer flyers or get a randomizer version.
Agreed. Slated is a much better flyer map than AirMars. And since we never play Slated either, every time we play AirMars is a wasted opportunity.
If we want Slated to be played more it needs to become a Randomizer map... about 70/30 flyers to tanks/benders.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

If we want Slated to be played more it needs to become a Randomizer map... about 70/30 flyers to tanks/benders.
So its not that easy. I can make each vehicle equal weight (truly random) and have more flyers and few benders.
But I can't make it so you will get a flyer. You might get three benders. -- at least using the standard "Randomizer" I have a version that I can set flyers only at a Node.

It might be easier to use randomfactories, so for each vehicle spawn point I can pick say a bender from a list, or a flyer from a different list, they each have their own "random" list. This however, will mean that each side might not be equal.... one might get a wasp, the other a falcon. Which I am ok with-- not everything in life is symmetrical....

Thoughts?

And, btw, since I was pondering that and looking through maps I found a different version of AirMars, had some of the things we discussed done already, did some quick vehicle updates to it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

So this was missing a static mesh file..fixed and now loads on the server.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

This is a nice update, thank you for making it. I think it will need some play time before players know what to do. Last night it was over pretty quickly :cry: :lol:
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah teams were pretty uneven.
I think also need to have a "plan", Anon and I in the Lamprey/Link Flyer made some progress by working together...

It is difficult to get to 3/4 under the big ship though, but I think we need to play it a bit more.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 6:15 pm
So its not that easy. I can make each vehicle equal weight (truly random) and have more flyers and few benders.
But I can't make it so you will get a flyer. You might get three benders. -- at least using the standard "Randomizer" I have a version that I can set flyers only at a Node.

It might be easier to use randomfactories, so for each vehicle spawn point I can pick say a bender from a list, or a flyer from a different list, they each have their own "random" list. This however, will mean that each side might not be equal.... one might get a wasp, the other a falcon. Which I am ok with-- not everything in life is symmetrical....

Thoughts?
My thoughts are that Enyo was being sarcastic. Slated is pretty well designed. Hate to see another map ruined.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:00 am ...
Hate to see another map ruined.
LOL
pooty

Post by pooty »

My thoughts are that Enyo was being sarcastic. Slated is pretty well designed. Hate to see another map ruined.
Ouch. We can go back to playing stock Torlan if you'd like... ;)

Seriously though, I wouldn't remove the original Slated. It would be a second different version.

I am curious, since you claim some maps are ruined, which maps are you missing, or you just don't like randomizers?
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:34 am
Ouch. We can go back to playing stock Torlan if you'd like... ;)

Seriously though, I wouldn't remove the original Slated. It would be a second different version.

I am curious, since you claim some maps are ruined, which maps are you missing, or you just don't like randomizers?
That came across harsher than I intended. I think both JY are worse as randomizers and too chaotic. I much prefer AJYv4 over the randomizer version. By contrast, I think Dria and Minus are okay as randomizers, but not necessarily better. Valarna works well as a randomizer. Obviously I'm in a minority and most prefer randomizers.

A lot of the weaponry is overbuilt now. I feel it's either a sniper map where mortals don't stand a chance against the pros or overbuilt vehicle chaos.

I do like some of the new stuff. The spank badger is one of my favorites. You can totally fuck up a power vehicle with it but you have to be somewhat sneaky to get in close enough and then time your shot well. It balances well against the power vehicles and takes skill to use. But it is pure beauty when you pull off a good kill. I like those kinds of delicate balances and things that promote strategy and teamwork. Randomizers take away from building strategies.

Slated is just a well designed map. Even if down to primaries, you can flip it back if the other team ever slacks off. The size/speed is good. Anti-air is good but with lots of strategies to counter by approaching from below, etc.