AirMars

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: AirMars

Post by pooty »

No worries. I don't want to screw up any "classics", which IMO slated is one.

We just had too many junkyards, so the stock DJY had to go, but we still have regular AJY.
A lot of the weaponry is overbuilt now. I feel it's either a sniper map where mortals don't stand a chance against the pros or overbuilt vehicle chaos.
I do agree, but the masses love the chaos. We do have plenty maps without it, but people love their MassD, Minus-KitchenSink for sure. I personally would prefer maps that require a bit more strategy than spamming the mino and we've got a few of those as well. Trying for a balance of things on the server....some vehilce heavy, some more DM heavy. Its takes a bit to tweak a map, especially one that isn't a randomizer, it takes at least a good 5 or 6 play sessions with humans to get it just right, so I do appreciate the feedback.

There's a part of me that wants to try a mutator that does Damage = Damage * 0.5;
Just to see how it plays.

WRT to slated, it would be a tweak randomizer not just a free for all. Kind of like AirMars, no omega, no starbolt, no flying railtanks, no hitscans, It'd probably be better for me to finish the larger slated version first
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

There's a part of me that wants to try a mutator that does Damage = Damage * 0.5;
yes, but only for vehicles hehe. I've thought of this myself.

"You must be THIS tall to ride this ride"

I've thought of this one too. A mutator that requires you to have a certain PPH before you can drive the mino hehe, to keep the stains out of the power vehicles. I suck though so I'd only lock out myself :lol:
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes only for vehicles.

I think this is a pretty small mutator to write.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

captainsnarf wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:26 am

"You must be THIS tall to ride this ride"

I've thought of this one too. A mutator that requires you to have a certain PPH before you can drive the mino hehe, to keep the stains out of the power vehicles. I suck though so I'd only lock out myself :lol:
That'd be awesome. Yeah it boggles me how some people still can't break 200 pph.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Couple of random thoughts:

1) would low gravity work on this map? You'd be able to dodge jump from a high platform to a low one. You'd also be able to survive falls. This might make gameplay weird though.

2) The jump pads inside the core ship make it difficult to attack. When i jump down there to hit their core I sometimes got launched back up, ruining tiny windows of opportunity to hit the core

3) The location of the base spawn point, weapon locker, and jump pads are in a weird order.

I think #2 and #3 could be solved by removing the jump pad, bringing back the ladder, and then moving the spawn point to the top of the ship rather than inside.

4) has anyone used the paladins that spawn at the center node? A more rewarding vehicle might be something with anti-air. Crazy idea: two nuke tanks? Or warthogs (the scorpion with the homing rockets).
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The omnihelix can probably be removed, although it's hard to say without more players on. With low number of players it's really good or a waste of a player. I think it was the latter tonight. It's hitscan so it kind of ruins the dogfight vibe.

The doorways between the middle nodes should be smaller so you can't get a flyer in there. I camped the middle node with the link flyer the first round and we won easily. It shouldn't be like that where one vehicle changes the outcome.

One of the powerups inside where double damage is should be jump boots so there is an alternate way to get to the node. I was thinking a jump pad but then it's too easy I think. Nobody would take the ramp up there if there was a jump pad. Boots are more limited.
pooty

Post by pooty »

With respect to Helix. I think it might make sense to make a specific Helix that doesn't have the big dual minigun. The idea was for it to be a troop transport raining down foot soldiers to the middle, but the powerful minigun just makes a floating antiair platform. Although it might make it better if the respawn is like 90-120 seconds...It would then be like the mino, you'd have to kill it to get a reprieve... Or perhaps a rail gun tank, or twin beam turret on the core ship? That would quickly prevent helix camping, and help defend the primaries.

I can block the door ways in the big ship, but I almost think it might be better to remove the link flyer... its just too powerful here, likely same with Lamprey manta although less so. Removing both means you have to get out to link. Seems like killing falcons in the middle ship isn't too hard.. but the link flyer dominates. I think I'd rather remove the link flyer first... theres lots of obstacles in the middle room so its not like a flyer can just zip across --- one SR shot usually messes you up.

Jump boots would be good at various points, might even be able to jump from nodes to big ship I wonder if some even some jump pads too might do that... the middle ship is key, so having multiple ways on it is good.

1. Low gravity, we could try it, but still going to be hard to jump.
2,3. Jump Pads in the core need to stay it too hard to get out, maybe moving them off to the side a bit. Also checking the spawn points as well, and maybe you just spawn up top as suggested.
4. The idea behind the paladin was to block the entrance to that top middle node.... the other vehicle is Centaur. Maybe a Basilisk? Mantis? Spider?
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:52 am I can block the door ways in the big ship, but I almost think it might be better to remove the link flyer...
captainsnarf wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:31 am The doorways between the middle nodes should be smaller so you can't get a flyer in there. I camped the middle node with the link flyer the first round and we won easily. It shouldn't be like that where one vehicle changes the outcome.
If the link flyer is removed, it may be worth considering EXPANDING the doorways and making the space in the middle of the airship a little more open to be able to battle back and forth between the 3 middle nodes. I mean, this is a giant airship, small flyers should be able to get in and out of it quickly and easily. I always hated having to run around on foot inside the airship on this map.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Maybe bump the node down to the ground level of the main ship? Then center node spawns a tank in there. Tank will easily be able to waste people coming in the side doors so enemy will need to drop into the top area.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Enyo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:51 pm
pooty wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:52 am I can block the door ways in the big ship, but I almost think it might be better to remove the link flyer...
captainsnarf wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:31 am The doorways between the middle nodes should be smaller so you can't get a flyer in there. I camped the middle node with the link flyer the first round and we won easily. It shouldn't be like that where one vehicle changes the outcome.
If the link flyer is removed, it may be worth considering EXPANDING the doorways and making the space in the middle of the airship a little more open to be able to battle back and forth between the 3 middle nodes. I mean, this is a giant airship, small flyers should be able to get in and out of it quickly and easily. I always hated having to run around on foot inside the airship on this map.
I thought the point of the giant airship was that you have to get out of your flyer and do some fighting on foot.