Range

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Range

Post by Enyo »

I think you meant to say damage/second, not minute on most of those examples.

Comparing the Heavy Goliath laser range to Falcon range is apples to oranges and you know it. One is hit scan the other (Falcon) is much more difficult to aim and hit, especially while moving. Besides, at 30000 range you know well as I do that you can’t even see that far on most maps, so it’s a guesstimate shooting that far.

Don’t believe me, happy to test it out. Let’s hop on the server, you in the heavy Goliath, me in the Falcon and test how hard it is to “sit far away and blast the heavy tank and its laser can't hit you.” And you’re talking one specific flyer that has that kind of range, most do not. The Heavy Goliath wrecks flyers on most maps. And the Falcon is rarely on the same map unless it’s a randomizer.

Was just saying your suggestion about the Heavy Goliath’s drone shot wasn’t at all what we originally talked about, which is simply reducing it’s unlimited range and spaminess. Not sure why that turned into “let’s reduce its rate of fire and increase the damage.”
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yes, per second.

There were two items:

1. Second seat shock beam. Its pretty lethal up close. But it range is limited. That won't really save you from a falcon far away. Hence, I don't think this needs changing..its less powerful than most other lasers...

2. Flak Drone. That I agree needs a bit of nerfing. I think once this is done it won't be such an issue to flyers. We probably should test it. One drone shot should be enough to kill a basic raptor if its still. Nerfing the range and rate of fire will give the flyers a chance since currently if you're say 4 seconds away the drone is super fast (ie. tank shell speed+) and homes in likely before you realize it (not sure though how that's any different than getting zipped by a rail gun you can't see...) The changes I proposed should make a noticable difference. I'll update it when I get a chance, just updating the speed/time, leaving damage alone...I don't want to increase damage anywhere.

One thing I want to do is make the drone itself bigger so its more visible. I wonder if I can make it so it can be shot down like an avril or redeemer..that would balance it out at bit too.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Why do we need homing weapons?

Personally I think we should get rid of these following homing weapons or at the very least change them into something else for better gameplay.

Dragon's AA rockets
Battery launcher (just make Avrils disable turtle shield)
Heavy Tank drone
Pallas yellow laser thing

Keep Arbalest rockets(needs it)
Keep Hurricane rockets (easy to dodge)
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Not everybody on the server has your aim. I think a lot of our players would stop playing without homing weapons. Strategy vs skill. The AVRiL was fine with the stock eight vehicles. Throw in flyers like the Dragon, Warhawk, etc and the Battery launcher makes more sense.

When our players play for 20 years and still don't dodge jump, they aren't going to improve their aim any time soon. They make up the skill gap with strategy. One of those strategies is to hide somewhere and lob avrils all day.

I never get in the deemer tank. I find it extremely boring. Some of our players love it though. It's their go-to vehicle. It's definitely a strategy vehicle. Not much skill required, yet it can determine the outcome of a match.

It does suck when you practice, have great aim and movement, and then die to a random avril, double jumping rockets, or someone hiding around the corner in a tank. That's ONS for you. We get more players than any of the DM servers because ONS appeals to a wider audience. Taking away homing weapons will reduce that audience.
pooty

Post by pooty »

My suggestion fits in the middle. Reduce the unlimited spam of these homing weapons:

Dragon's AA rockets
Hurricane rockets
Maybe you get 30 (20?) rockets and then it slow fires/reloads much like the Wraith primary fire. This avoids the never ending stream of rockets from spammy players...

Keep Arbalest rockets(needs it) - Agreed keep it as is.

Heavy Tank Drone is getting changed, so it should be ok.

WRT to Avrils/Batteries, Snarf is correct. Except with Avrils/Batteries you're ammo limited, and it requires at least some basic attention: keeping the lock by the player vs. automatic homing. Those aren't fire and forget like the above. For some players it is beneficial to the team if they are firing Avrils, and then other players can finish them off with SR,LG.

WRT to the Pallas Yellow Alt-fire, it often ends up in a circling pattern, not sure why? Maybe if it gets close it explodes? I've seen it circle and circle....
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

The Pallas yellow plasma homes but has limited turn rate, so most of the time it never actually hits you. It just goes in circles. I thought it was funny so I left it like that. The pink plasma will always find you, but it's super slow so you can usually outrun it.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I've never felt like the Dragon or Hurricane homing rockets were a big issue, they're quite easy to avoid, especially since most people that rely on those homing weapons usually don't use them effectively. I love it when a veteran but sadly a still unskilled player lobs Hurricane rockets at my flyer instead of switching to lasers. Or sits idle in the Dragon just spamming rockets across the map - a complete waste of a great flyer.

I rarely use the homing rockets in either of those vehicles anyway, you could completely remove them for all I care, or dial them back to a limited quantity or leave as is.

Ooh, on second thought... if you get rid of the Dragon spam rockets completely, then Azazel won't be able to spam away our position anymore!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Yeah you can't sit and spam. Better option:

1) Fire just a few homing rockets
2) Switch to lasers and start pelting them
3) In their tumbling around, the rockets will catch up to them and finish them off

Alternatively, you can use homing rockets to "scan" for enemies who are beyond the fog.
pooty

Post by pooty »

It just goes in circles. I thought it was funny so I left it like that.
Its kind of cool like that... maybe there should be some effect? Holds you in place, sinks you to ground, explodes after so much time....

Seems like no biggie to leave the spammy rockets in.

I still haven't gotten to the Flak Drone yet... just not enough time in the day.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Ok so HeavyTank 2.4 Changes:

FlakDrone:
Firerate to 3.5s from 2.0s

Drone itself:

Code: Select all

AccelRate=2200.000000
     Speed=4000.000000
     MaxSpeed=10000.000000(Was 23000!)
     Damage=175
     DamageRadius=450.000000 (was 350)
     MomentumTransfer=10000.000000
     LifeSpan=3.000000  (Was 6.0000)
So it fires much more slowly, flies much slower. I also added code so it should be able to be shot down.
It can't go all the way across Valarna but still has a long range. Let's see how it plays out. It still should be useful but not OP.