Map request: Omnipotent version of ONS-Sidaro

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Map request: Omnipotent version of ONS-Sidaro

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am Yes two node layouts. They are similar. But both have middle cut off. I think the node layout needs two paths..and maybe no cutoff since the cutoff can create a short cut.
Node layout definitely needs fixing… there’s two nodes that connect to and cut off a single secondary node. Makes getting the secondary back up extremely difficult. And definitely needs two separate paths to core, two paths that converge into one is odd.

Also needs some vehicles changes/updates at the side nodes, all of them have paladin and scorpion variants, with no good anti-air except I think one basilisk, and no fast movers other than hard to control scorpions.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

The hard part will be the second primary (first being the node closest to the cores)...that secondary will be even farther from the core and if you lose it, going to be hard to get it back -- although two flyers, two mantas are fast. Probably add another flyer. I'd add a faster tank, but theres Dark Rail (deadly on this map) or vamp tank (might too powerful-yet flyers could easily kill it). Maybe just another badger and another flyer would work. Or maybe link scorpion, they have boost...

And the middle side nodes have a boat in the river, does pretty good against flyers.

From there once I redo the nodes, I'll review the vehicles. Basilisk was pretty good.

I do think though this map is one that you likely need some defense at a node.... not sure its a great layout though.
pooty

Post by pooty »

ONS-Sidaro-)o(-V2.ut2 on the server.
Three new node layouts all with two primaries. Jumppads from nearest node to out toward the river. Remember there are grapple guns in all Weaponlockers... use them from the core!

Some beefed up cores vehicle Heavy Link, plus Goliath II, some other minor vehicle changes and few goodies. Should be enough to take back the close primary if you lose it.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Node layouts seemed much better.

Okay so link tank lasers are just too dominating on this map. Give the LT two linkers and laser are powerful and due to the layout, there's no "back" approach. I think replacing the LT with the Vampire Tank will be a good switch....its fast, but doesn't have lasers. It's beam will mess with flyers but has limited range vs. lasers.

I wonder if maybe a bigger tank instead of link tank variant? Maybe something that doesn't have killer AA, Hydra?

Still a bunch of anti-air (basilisk, benders, badgers, boats (minigun kills flyers pretty easy).

One thought would be add/upgrade the mantas. Enyo suggested short-circuit, but I think that's to powerful... strafe, shoot, strafe behind rock..etc. Its shots will kill any of the other vehicles in 2 shots. Maybe use MirageManta, or Firefly. They are slightly more powerful than regular manta, but faster and more agile.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Can a fire tank or old mino kill the link tank in one shot? Maybe having one tank that's more powerful to shut it up would do the trick.

Perhaps a target painter or nuke strike painter with a longer range? (those things need their range increased anyway)

I agree the link tank kind of dominated, but it was because of teamwork.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

🦄🤮 mvp
pooty

Post by pooty »

I agree the link tank kind of dominated, but it was because of teamwork.
True, but even in one instance where me, enyo, guy all came at it and I don't think even got close to killing it. Now perhaps had we put 3 linkers on our link tank.... And perhaps increase the link tank spawn time so if you do kill it, its not right back 30s later. The Vampire tank, while not being a laser turret whore, is much faster and could zip around this map....

I do like the idea of the fire tank, reduce the link tank from heavy back to regular one. Fire tank blast does obscure line of sight which would blind link tank turret. I think the Classic Mino would be too much I could shoot all the way across the map...and easily blast 7/8 all match.
Perhaps a target painter or nuke strike painter with a longer range? (those things need their range increased anyway)
I agree! I have the stormcaster packaged up, so I probably could change that pretty easily (its on this map). But I think the ion painter and nuke painter need longer ranges... they are one shot, delayed action, used by infantry... even doubling the range would be a deal breaking IMO
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:31 am Enyo suggested short-circuit, but I think that's to powerful... strafe, shoot, strafe behind rock..etc. Its shots will kill any of the other vehicles in 2 shots. Maybe use MirageManta, or Firefly. They are slightly more powerful than regular manta, but faster and more agile.
Short circuit is super easy to kill though, it's very slow and clumsy compared to other mantas. At least has some decent firepower compared to weakling firefly or mirage manta. Those things are little more than mini troop carriers with low-rate damage and health.

OK, so what about maybe a wyvern? Fast and nimble but low firepower, would allow for getting around some of the anti-air stuff. Anti-air has all the advantage on this map being so wide open and no way to run behind anything.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I played a bit with a Wyvern on there, seems pretty good. Still might be easy pickings for the lasers, but it will help get to open nodes across the map. Plus at the start with Grapple Guns on it, a team can really get a fast start.

So here's the changes for V3, should have it uploaded for tonight.

Changed GII at core to Hydra.
Change HeavyLinkTank to LinkTank (Fully loaded Hydra should last long enough to kill Link Tank).
Changed TickScorp at middle to Badger -- this way the linktank camping doesn't immediately get 2 unlimited linkers --- still has Lamprey.
Changed Venom(goo raptor) to Draco (blinds turrets, not as OP as fire tank) at Primary
Added Wyvern, Hornet and MantaMirage at cores (still has one regular manta) - so four manta types total.

And I increased range on the StormCasterV3 to 20000 (was 10000). This will apply to server, so all maps with the updated Stormcaster will get this change. Going to do same to NukeStrikePainter, but that will require me to repackage it...with a new name and then update maps with it (this map doesn't have it anyway... its on Dria-Rando, MassD and few others).
pooty

Post by pooty »

A couple of notes (mostly for myself).

A few player starts are misplaced (outside core, back corner nodes).

Suggestion to open up the sky a bit so flyers have bit of safe haven, Enyo is afraid of all the anti-air. I think that I'll play with the center tower a bit, you know the thing with the green panes.. might move the blocking volume back a bit, and maybe add more panes to shield flyers going across. They'll still be vulnerable hitting enemy nodes but at least they won't get picked off going there.

I know some felt Basilisk was too powerful.. its easily killed by badgers, boat and hydra.

I will say I feel like maybe I should put heavy link tank back now that the lasers/linking has been nerfed tweaked.