Map request: Omnipotent version of ONS-Sidaro

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Map request: Omnipotent version of ONS-Sidaro

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:57 pm ONS-Sidaro-)o(-V5
Changes. Heavy Link Tank to Regular Link Tank. Its still going to be potent with linkers.
Moved the far primaries behind rocks so that can't just get hit from 8
Changed Mirage Tank to Ballista (bye bye LT if it gets first shot).
Changed Basilisk to Cobra Tank (so less anti air)
Also moved the blocking volume back, you can fly over the tower at 8, shield from anti air below.

Key on this map is teamwork. Some defense is needed to keep the manta types from killing ur nodes if the middles are up. Linking Link Tank makes it beastly -- between Hydra (with both gunners) and Ballista this shouldn't be a problem, especially with badgers too.
Good move on removing the Basilisk. That thing was nothing but annoying.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

There's a small hole right here:
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

pooty

Post by pooty »

I'll fix the hole.
And there's a playerstart thats under the terrain at 1 (not sure why editor didn't flag it)

But, that being said, this map is still not quite right. I think even Nautikal described it as too campy. I think it might be better to take off LinkTank, put in vampire tank. Reduce the lasers, and make it so you have to actually get to the nodes vs. sitting back and sniping the whole time.

Anyone have other ideas? Its just not coming together like I'd hoped.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

You shouldn't be able to hit the center nodes from across the map. Put walls in or something. The center nodes are too hard to get, and too hard to keep.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 am But, that being said, this map is still not quite right. I think even Nautikal described it as too campy. I think it might be better to take off LinkTank, put in vampire tank. Reduce the lasers, and make it so you have to actually get to the nodes vs. sitting back and sniping the whole time.

Anyone have other ideas? Its just not coming together like I'd hoped.
I’m not loving this map either. I think YEAAAHHHHHHH was right, it’s like a smaller simplified version of Kakmo in that it has the same general U-shape. Maybe you should just do a Kakmo update with new vehicles?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Judas

Post by Judas »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 am Anyone have other ideas? Its just not coming together like I'd hoped.
It sounds like our goals are to make the middle nodes change hands a little less frequently, discourage sniping/camping, and make going to and fighting at nodes more interesting. Removing the Basilisk and changing the link tank makes sense to me. I also found the Badger's minigun to be overly strong against air.

What about using weaker air/fast movers (such as the Raptor, Wyvern, Hover Pod thing) with weaker anti-air to kind of level things out a bit? Those Badgers could be switched out with Goliath II or a fast shield tank (Dark Aegis?) to make the nodes seem less fragile. I've also seen players try to use link vehicles to hold the middle nodes longer -- if they had a little more space to hide in those, the nodes would be a bit easier to keep active while other players attack. Or, one of the middle nodes could be in a space that is only accessible on foot so that people can have a relevant area to deathmatch each other in.
pooty

Post by pooty »

GII has a pretty strong minigun, and the GII has longer range than a badger minigun. That being said, they are easier to kill since they aren't all over tha place...

But I think those are good ideas, keep the long distance stuff really slow and easy to target.

I need to figure out how to shield the middle nodes, I think 8 is ok, as it has walls, but 7 needs more cover
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:05 am Anyone have other ideas? Its just not coming together like I'd hoped.
I'd open up the top completely so flyers can get to the other side and attack AA from behind.

Other than that, I miss the days when AA was primarily benders.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Anonymous. wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:24 pm There's a small hole right here:
Too bad I don't remember that (possibly kamikaze) attack cause they don't get much better than that! :lol: