Let's talk lasers.

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Super Sanka

Re: Let's talk lasers.

Post by Super Sanka »

Most of these nerf threads seem to be aimed at me and anon it feels like. TC, Odin,Helix, lasers etc. Think 5 straight vehicle nerfs including Arbiter :lol:

Meanwhile we have mega badgers and minos that one hit everything with splash damage.

I actually do think vehicles have way too much health. That Perces thing needs to be deleted. Giant health sponges aren't fun to use or fight against. Also should fix the link nuke to not do damage to enemies.

I'm down to play stock maps like artic stronghold without the custom vehicles but again, it never gets enough votes to go through.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

Most of these nerf threads seem to be aimed at me and anon it feels like. TC, Odin,Helix, lasers etc. Think 5 straight vehicle nerfs including Arbiter :lol:
Yes and no. Yes - You two have particularly good aim, and with the high powered lasers, people on foot pretty much get instagibbed. Now if its a shit stain manning the laser, not so much.
No - Even those with halfway decent aim more less instagib foot soliders... Having lasers that someone can do 250 pts pretty much kills most raptor times ~1-1.5s.... and you don't have to aim/lead with a projectile (ie. tank shell).

The Arbiter didn't really get nerfed other than health, and hitscan/railtank from a flyer that does 400 pts is a bit OP, especially because if you're in another flyer you'll never see what killed you...

Many of the other changes were range standardization... no fun getting minigunned from the helix when your avirls won't reach, your shock rifle won't hit etc. Or the Omega, that could Ion blast you and nothing would hit it except Mino Lasers (and GII minigun) -- both those had ridiculous ranges....

I'd happily nerf the Mino (Omnitaur) but people love it. Huge splash damage. We have the Classic Mino which has same damage except very little splash....much better IMO. But its fine on some maps... Basic Minus the Minotaur, IMO is just fine.

You guys all picking on Perseus... I remember when many hated on it as useless. And if you think its 8000 health is much, try the Kraken with 10000 (basically Tiamat is 5000 health Kraken). And Perseus has been that way since Wormbo coded it a decade ago, and its weapons are pretty weak compared to most MAS -- and its only on a few maps.

Perseus aside, most of the vehicles aren't too bad. You can kill most of them with hand held weapons with a bit of skill (like landing on the top turret of the tank). Big and slow usually has lots of health, and they are easy targets.

Also should fix the link nuke to not do damage to enemies.
I don't think so. Its still a nuke. And you have to carry ONE, and deliver it (can be denied). If the enemies don't die, simply stepping on the node denies the link nuke making it kind of useless in the middle of a fight. But I could be convinced otherwise....

I'm down to play stock maps like artic stronghold without the custom vehicles but again, it never gets enough votes to go through.
They are there, and many maps have custom vehicles just not in the quantity as the Minus/JY randomizers that get played too much.
I'll encourage a bit of admin choice to play some less OP/spammy maps. If you notice most of the newer maps aren't like that... much more toned down.

And I'll say remember before all this work Snarf and I have put in, there were lots of OP stuff Kraken, Tiamat, Perseus, Omnitaur, Bio Tank, Bio Badger, 900 pt ion badgers, Original Falcon doing like 300pts/second. With all the goofy ranges, damage all over the map -- we've been cleaning it all up --- its years of sloppy code, some broken (fire tank's code was broken in several areas). (no offense to any original coders out there, Wormbo was decent, but much of it was messy). This is the next step, as you've seen for the last couple of years is to bring the balance to the various vehicles, so they have strengths and weakness, and there isn't one all dominant vehicle. (Hint Perseus can be flipped -- Spank badger nullifies it pretty quick ;-))

So back to your original question, its not just you, its Anon, You, Enyo, Leon, GTKU, top players with vehicles that do tremendous hitscan damage make it frustrating for those that aren't as good, you can't even team up...if the minigun/lasers drops you <1s, just get picked off.
Better players expose the OP shit much more dramatically so thank you for that!

Overall, I'd like to nerf a ton of stuff, rather have BATTLES, than oneshots.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I don’t mind the nerfing of several vehicles, thanks for doing that pooty. I don’t agree with nerfing everything by half as snarf suggested though. Most of the flyers regularly get shot down by foot soldiers, and I can often even take out various tanks on foot, so it’s a misrepresentation to say you can’t compete on foot.

Onslaught is really the only version of the game, and UT one of the only fps games, that has vehicles that are actually fun to use. So what if it’s often vehicle death match? Most players here don’t actively engage in onslaught goals (nodes) anyway, so I’d rather have vehicle DM than on foot.

Most of our players prefer fighting in vehicles, which is why maps with few or no vehicles rarely get voted. There’s plenty of DM/Freon servers with nothing but man to man on foot fighting if that’s your thing. Besides, most of our maps have plenty of vehicles for every player, even with a full server, so there’s usually not much reason to be running around on foot anyway, although a lot of players strangely do.

BTW pooty, I only ever complain about “just a plain Raptor” when it spawns on the randomizer maps. It’s completely outmatched and shouldn’t ever be on a randomizer with a bevy of “OP” vehicles. Same for the regular Manta. On a stock vehicle map, Raptors and Cicadas are the dominant flyers. I actually like a lot of those maps too, but the masses just prefer the newer vehicles.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Nerfing lasers makes flyers stronger. I'm not sure we need that. Flyers are already the most important vehicles on the map. They don't need to be more important. Then we go back to a good player in a good flyer dominating the game, which already happens. I agree that making link tank lasers better made flyers worse. I'm not sure where the balance needs to be. Nevermore is different now that the link tanks at the center node are more powerful. It makes the center node more important. Did that throw off the balance of the map?
pooty

Post by pooty »

BTW pooty, I only ever complain about “just a plain Raptor” when it spawns on the randomizer maps. It’s completely outmatched and shouldn’t ever be on a randomizer with a bevy of “OP” vehicles. Same for the regular Manta. On a stock vehicle map, Raptors and Cicadas are the dominant flyers. I actually like a lot of those maps too, but the masses just prefer the newer vehicles.
Yeah it was bit of tongue in cheek. Remember randomizers have crappy vehicles too. It uses a point system, so a Falcon is probably triple the points of plain ol' raptor. I did remove the base scorpions and few useless trucks, but think the bottom of the barrel vehicles stock manta, stock raptor, CSHellHound... so at least somewhat useful. So the point system works like this, Randomizer determines point ranges (limits set by mapper) randomly say 1000-2000 pts. Spins the wheel say 1400 points. It then fills vehicles, you might get 1200 point vehicle, and two 100 pointers, or you might get 800, 400, 200 etc. So you need the cheapies to fill the vehicle loadout.
Nerfing lasers makes flyers stronger. I'm not sure we need that.
The only ones really nerfed were Hurricane Turret (225 to 200 pts/s), Armadillo (similar), LinkTanks (which the HeavyLT was too OP). They are on par with most other turrets, but the major change is damage to infantry isn't as great so players on foot have a chance vs. lasered down from 19000 UU away nearly instantly.

And also think when you hve two laser turrets.. flyers are screwed.

Keep in mind the link tanks are pretty potent when linked...they become the most powerful turrets in the game with just 1 linker.

And on NVM the link tanks are still more powerful than what was there before, even after this latest round Link Tank 3.0 > Link Tank 2.0 by a good bit.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:56 am Nerfing lasers makes flyers stronger. I'm not sure we need that. Flyers are already the most important vehicles on the map.
I don’t think the minor changes pooty made are going to make flyers any stronger or more important. Like he said, mostly affects damage to foot soldiers.

Besides, when we’re talking about the effectiveness or importance of any vehicle, we need to be talking in terms of how effective they are ONLY with competent players in them. Dialing down the hurricane and heavy link tank lasers was the right call.

When Anon, Sanka or Nautikal are in those tanks, you have no chance of survival in any flyer… by the time you even realize where they’re shooting from you’re already dead. That doesn’t seem very balanced - advantage tank lasers every time. Hell, even against them on foot and me in a Falcon or Starbolt it’s about an even match.

Now, when the stains are in those tanks they either have terrible aim, don’t even bother switching to lasers, or are completely oblivious to approaching flyers because they never look up. So, in that case changing the laser damage is moot.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

FWIW, I think the biotank has a good level of damage on the lasers for a vehicle whose primary purpose is not AA (which is how I would also characterize the link tank).
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

captainsnarf wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:31 am They can't compete on skill so they grab the most powerful vehicles instead, and then we complain stains took all the good vehicles. It really shouldn't be about vehicles.
Well, it is about the vehicles in onslaught, and it doesn't have to be the uber powerful flyers for the stains to fuck you. Perfect example was tonight on Nevermore, the old version with only Cicada, Wraith and Draco. Ebno, 11:11 and me on a team, outnumbered with Anon, Azazel, Raep and Twobowls on the other team... we were winning until Pharizwheel shows up and promptly jumps in and suicides every one of our flyers over and over.

The bottom feeders will fuck you every time, it's almost like they're trying to sometimes, but I don't think most of them are bright enough to be that intentionally subversive.
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Enyo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:18 pm ...
The bottom feeders will fuck you every time, it's almost like they're trying to sometimes, but I don't think most of them are bright enough to be that intentionally subversive.
Haha! I remember GTKY saying something to this effect. I think I agree. It's like some on your team may not have intentions of winning, but only to see your team lose, just to F with you. LOL
pooty

Post by pooty »

completely oblivious to approaching flyers because they never look up.
Haha at one point on Dria last night I think I killed 4 people in a row at either 6/9 in the bolt. I was up high shooting down. No clue, none of them looked up at all. My fun spree was finally stopped by I think subzero or maybe nautikal. But the point is many of the players have very low situational awareness.