ONS-Magnanimous_Lucid(B8)_ExJ

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
FuriousRabbit

Re: ONS-Magnanimous_Lucid(B8)_ExJ

Post by FuriousRabbit »

When playing the map with only a few players, it's prudent to take the flyers and move fast. But the lamprey owns them all. You'd have to sit in a boat or alligator to take it out. So yes, too powerful against foot soldiers and flyers. Would be nice to have a flying counter or at least reduce the spawn interval.

And mantas aren't supposed to fly.
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

And mantas aren't supposed to fly.
lol. correct. We have the Hornet (minigun) and Lamprey that break that rule.

I might remove it. I am working on an update now. The vehicle load out won't be symmetrical either since the sides are not.
I do think though since its a big complex map, it would take several matches to figure out the optimal strategies for each side.
pooty

Post by pooty »

V3 - Update

- Dark Levis CAN make it out of the cores
- teleporter in the Sub Core Removed.
- Added some flyers to the city side, and at one Phoenix to the cores.
- Few other vehicle tweaks.
- Added a bridge node between 14 and 7, this should offset the speed at which the hill/cave side can attack 14.
- Fixed Ramps at 3 for Aegis/DarkPaladin (worked already for scorps and trucks)

There is some weird terrain render at node 7, never shows up in the editor, but does when you play... not sure why. You see lines and intersection point but there's nothing there but same terrain...
pooty

Post by pooty »

This new version seemed to play much better.... I don't think there was even any griping about the map: https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... match=7574

It does I think need at least 8v8 to really play since its so big. Both sides won a match so they seemed pretty even and adding the node at 2 IMO helped balance it a little better.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

This map is still pretty unbalanced. The map is divided by two choke point nodes in the middle. The city side is undoubtedly the stronger side. It has more nodes so in a stalemate they will always win in overtime. There are multiple places on the city side where the mino can hit both choke point nodes, but this is not true of the desert side.

I agree with Enyo on this one - asymmetric maps don't belong in Onslaught. They can work, but there needs to be at least some symmetry in the node layout, like Dria. Dria is not 100% symmetric, but it's close.
pooty

Post by pooty »

I'll take a look, the nodes should be even by count--I purposefully made sure it was that way with bridge node being contested... We've played where cave side won, although I think its harder to get to node 4 on cave side -- I think some vehicle changes would help.

The one thing that really seems to matter is control the bridge node (2). That lets you get 7/14.

I think this " There are multiple places on the city side where the mino can hit both choke point nodes, but this is not true of the desert side. " might be more of the factor, the city side is higher so it can shoot down where as on the desert side it has to shoot up and the angle foobars it. This might be an unfixable flaw -- but the map is so pretty....

And all that being said, unbalanced: https://www.omnipotents.com/utstats/mat ... match=8431 The joins here were terrible for the balance, look at the scores (it got worse after you left)... so not sure ready to just give up.
I agree with Enyo on this one - asymmetric maps don't belong in Onslaught.
I guess I'll delete Dria, and JY too. :D

Seriously, I think asymmetric maps are fine, they are just much harder to balance. I mean heck even Dria has a strong side and with nearly even teams that side almost always wins....same in JY... there will be a blow out one way, switch sides, blow out the other way.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Snarf is right though, Dria and Djunk are only slightly asymmetric, but Magnanimous is completely asymmetric. It seems the city side wins every time.

Pooty, you’re right about Dria and Djunk regular maps being lopsided, but in the newer Randomizer versions the small differences in those maps are mitigated with lots of strong flyers. The “weak” sides of those maps win a lot on Randomizer versions, but not so much on Magnanimous.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

Snarf is right though, Dria and Djunk are only slightly asymmetric, but Magnanimous is completely asymmetric. It seems the city side wins every time.
So in the previous version(s) the cave side won often, so much so that I strengthened the City side....

I have an updated edit with a few changes that should help the cave side. Maybe it works, maybe not. I do get that asymmetric maps are hard to make balanced, and hard to play (can't just take the mino to the dognuts spot), so hopefully this edit helps but not going to spend too much time on it. Although it'd be nice to have more balanced teams... I think at one point on that match the PPH difference was ~1900!

Some maps work out, some don't, even symmetrical. Hardest thing is you can't really tell how a map will play without human players head to head..
pooty

Post by pooty »

It was much better with V4. Same team won on both sides. Seems like Cave side is still a bit weaker, although that side won the first round.
There was some good back and forth. The added bridge node on the 9 side seemed to help.

Still needs a few tweaks.
- Move Firebug at 13 (City side, so tanks and go through)
- Adjust Terrain on Caves side so curbs don't snag tanks.
- Some better vehicles at 8.. not sure what yet, maybe add a manta, and average tank instead of hell hound.
- Fix ramp jumps KarmaVolumes at 3 should get vehicles over to the city side 12/15 right now it only works for the KingHellHound, might need more boost for others/tanks... this gives slight advantage to caves side which IMO is needed.

I'm lousy at terrain editing, so if anyone wishes to help.....
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

I can do the terrain part if you haven't done anything yet. There are actually quite a lot of snag spots on both sides.