New Asymmetic Map

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Rhamp

Re: New Asymmetic Map

Post by Rhamp »

Ok for some reason the default game mode for both this and the updated hyperblast got screwed up. They should be configured correctly now.
Pegasus

Post by Pegasus »

Rhamp wrote:[...]How do you take a top down screenshot of the map to use as the radar background?[...]
For a step-by-step n' (hopefully sufficiently) detailed rundown of how to move all of a map's assets so as to center 'em and its node graph for optimal radar real estate use, as well as regarding taking fitting radar images, it might help to also give this post a read. Also, spooky season or otherwise, the mere sight of surrounding wordwalls can often be daunting to a lot of people looking for some simple info, so to avoid anyone getting lost there, the part you might be interested in is just 2 sections long, starting from the "*** WARNING" point and onward.

Also,
Rhamp wrote:[...]Trying to google anything about using the map editor is useless since its so old.[...]
Whenever you're struggling with some aspect of UEd you might not be too familiar with, it's not a bad idea to give the Beyond Unreal wiki a check.

Hope that helps.

PS: As a general rule of thumb when it comes to assessing ONS content gameplay quality, ported maps from other gametypes over to ONS that don't even have a shred of symmetry to their geometry are usually more trouble than they're worth due to the very obvious [im]balance issue, leading to a "good side vs. bad side" general consensus regarding the tactics (or even strategies) each one enables, thus rendering most matches there more of a crap-shot in terms of how many rounds on the good side your team might get compared to the other one instead of a skill- and/or cooperation-testing challenge. It might be worth another thought whether this specific kind of project is the best investment of dozens, or even hundreds, of hours of your time compared to any other mapping or modding idea.
Eyes in the skies.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by captainsnarf »

Default onslaught scoring gives 2 points for regulation and 1 point for an overtime win, and default game score is 2 points. So if you win the first round before overtime, you win the match.

On omni we run a custom scoring mutator so that matches are always best 2 out of 3. This helps but does not alleviate the asymmetric map issue where if your team starts on the strong side you generally win. It still happens with our custom scoring, but at least each team gets a chance at the strong side.

You still are more likely to win if you start on the strong side though, since you will get the strong side again in the 3rd round. I'm looking at you, Dria-Randomizer :)
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Ok so, about those spma... :lol:

The spma need to go, but generally i think there are too many vehicles, and too many edges to get hung up on. One path leaving the base just leaves a choke point to spam into. One side has one primary, the other side has two. It's not very fair.

It's a cool concept. I think it can be balanced by adjusting the node layout. There were asymmetric maps in UT3 but they were mostly balanced by node placement.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

After playing the map with a more full lobby I'll be working on despamifying the map. It seems fine when both teams are fighting near the middle, but once one side gets ahead, trying to get out of the core for both sides becomes a camping spamfest. I'll probably change the artillery to be vanilla artillery unless anyone else has a better idea other than straight up removing them. Adding a second path out of the blue core is definitely a necessity. I'll add jump pads that connect the island nodes to the beach and red core so you can get around on foot. That way I can remove some of the vehicles without crippling movement. I originally liked all the obstacles on the beach to make it harder to navigate, but it ended up turning into a clusterfuck so I'll smooth out the terrain and remove some of the obstacles so you can actually drive around. With red's ability to jumppad to the beach, they should be able to pressure more making the node placement equal for both teams, though adding maybe another node in the ocean wouldn't hurt, especially if I add another primary for blue.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

I was not a fan of this map at all, but I’m open to trying it again with some major changes, especially the node layout. Was this one of those defend the base maps originally? That’s what it feels like. It’s gonna be a challenge to get it playable as an onslaught map.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I'll probably change the artillery to be vanilla artillery unless anyone else has a better idea other than straight up removing them.
They really don't belong on this map. It's too small. They can hit any location on the map.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

It was originally a dm map. I could replace the artillery with the missile tank. That way it isn't as oppressive and spammy, but still keeps the artillery concept there. The main issue that I found was that everyone was funneled down a small area on the beach. I was thinking of adding a cave big enough for tanks from blue's core to the ocean with another primary in it and then another node out in the water. This should open up a whole new angle instead of only spamfesting on the beach. This combined with smoothing out the beach should allow vehicles to press both routes, making it feel more like onslaught instead of dm. I was also thinking of adding some obstacles in the water, like giant fallen towers or something to provide cover so it isn't so wide open. That removes the incentive to camp and dm and should make the vehicle play more interesting. I'll probably replace the shields on red's beach nodes with some rocks to make it harder to supress the nodes from a distance. Lastly, adding jump pads out of red's core and out of one of red's primaries should help red keep pushing if they run out of vehicles since red's nodes are farther away than blue's. The adjusted node layout will make it so blue doesn't insta lose if their original primary gets sniped since their new primary in the cave will keep the rest of their nodes linked. Both sides will have 5 nodes each with the center node on the beach being a coin toss.
Attachments
beachv2.jpg
beachv2.jpg (105.31 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
pooty

Post by pooty »

Yeah you usually need 2 or 3 routes to each core. I try to make them in equal in nodes/distance, accounting for terrain.
If the nodes are unequal one team ends up with more vehicles or more points during OT if it stalemates.

I think a couple of underwater routes would be cool...

Missle tank might be too much as the nukes are pretty fast, and even the weak deemers are pretty deadly on small map.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

V2 is on the google drive.
  • Replaced the artillery on the battleship with trucks. The truck turrets don't have the opressive range that the artillery had but can still help defend if that side is losing badly.
  • Replaced one of the artillery spawns on the beach with a paladin (the only artillery remaining spawns at the beach primary)
  • Added an entirely new route to the south, adding a second primary node for the beach side so both sides have equal primaries, and adding an underwater node that connects to that new primary. This route consists of a cave system from the core out to the ocean with a path connecting the two primaries. This should help alleviate the dm clusterfuck on the beach.
  • Added jump pads to make it easier for the ocean team to maintain their side of the map. Both sides have equal nodes with a center node out in the open on the beach.
  • Added a bunch of static meshes to act as cover out on the water and around some of the nodes near the beach.
  • Fixed some of the ladders clipping into the map
  • Smoothed the terrain and removed some of the obstacles on the beach to make it possibe to move vehicles around without a headache
  • Enlarged the bunkers on the beach to allow entering and exiting from the sides instead of just the door. This should also help the flow on the beach