New Asymmetic Map

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Rhamp

New Asymmetic Map

Post by Rhamp »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19FEjqk ... drive_link

I've been converting another dm map into an ons map, except this one will be more of an experiment where we can see different gameplay that wouldn't be possible in a regular ons map. It is similar to an assault map, with red attacking from the water and blue defending from the island. Except unlike assault, the defenders can go on the offensive and push the attackers back, and if the attackers suck hard enough, go blow up their core.

The defenders get some vehicles and some very powerful equipment (artillery, heavy goliath), though the respawn timers on those are long, making it feel more of an impact to take out high priority targets. There isn't much room to maneuver the vehicles, but getting them in a good defensive position makes holding the beach much easier. The nodes near the water have the snarfed alligators that can drive underwater in addition to boats and those weapon lockers have grapplers so no one has to swim. The attacker's battleship has artillery vehicles to provide fire support as well as more boats. There are a bunch of goodies laying around the map and trickboards to get around. There are no fliers beyond hovercraft.

With the node layout, if the defenders hold most of the beach nodes for most of the game, they will win in overtime. All the nodes have multiple ways to get to them so there shouldn't be any unavoidable killzones. I was testing just the beach portion of the map in the first screenshot with bots because on the full version, they like to snipe in the ocean and dm instead of going to nodes.
Attachments
onsDCBeach1.jpg
onsDCBeach1.jpg (187.01 KiB) Viewed 3404 times
Last edited by Rhamp on Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rhamp

Re: New Asymmetic Map

Post by Rhamp »

Map is complete now. Might need some balance tweaking since bot testing can only do so much.
Attachments
onsDCBeach2.jpg
onsDCBeach2.jpg (195.5 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
pooty
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by pooty »

Need access to the file on google drive...
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

Whoops. Should be good now.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Looks cool. I think it'd be fun to try. Feels more like an "Omaha Beach" map than the one we have.

One thing I spot at a glance... try and fix the node map on the HUD. It looks pretty tight and off-center. You probably won't even need the HUD on this map since it's so small but it'll at least be easier to look at.

Thanks for doing this!
pooty

Post by pooty »

. try and fix the node map on the HUD. It looks pretty tight and off-center.
I think it makes the mini map based on center of the "map" not sure you can move it, unless you move all the map items (which I think is possible).

I'll load it up later today.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

You can't center the mini map. You have to move everything in the map. You can do this by using the top down view, zoom all the way out, then box-select everything (ctrl+alt+left click?). Once centered you can resize the minimap under LevelInfo properties. There is one for MinimapScale or something like that.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

Man I wish I knew about the ctrl alt left click box selection when I moved those ships in hyperblast. Trying to google anything about using the map editor is useless since its so old. How do you take a top down screenshot of the map to use as the radar background? Googling has proven useless since this editor is so old and unreal engine is so popular.
pooty

Post by pooty »

That version on the drive must be older, its not an ONS map.

It also needs this texture AMc-UCMP-Enlightenment-Tex.utx I have it I grabbed it off one of the Unreal Archive sites.
How do you take a top down screenshot of the map to use as the radar background? Googling has proven useless since this editor is so old and unreal engine is so popular.
I think you just disable the fog, "zoom" out and screen cap to .bmp file.

I wish I knew about the ctrl alt left click box selection
Same here before.. Also too on Static Meshes, you can "Select all matching" so if you want to say make lightposts not hit vehicles you can do those all at once.

This is best reference I could find https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AEpNhw0gjE
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »