Updated Slated World V4

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Updated Slated World V4

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

I'll try loading MagicIsle during an off-hour and see if it does the same. That's a good idea.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Tried Magicisle and it loaded fine.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

How much VRAM do you have?

I recall you could not load maps with mechs in them either. Mechs use a lot of textures. Maps with a large variety of vehicles would use a lot of textures too. One or two randomized vehicle factories might not be enough to go over your limit, but a full randomizer map would.
Canon Fodder

Post by Canon Fodder »

I think a Randomizer would make this map more fun. It gets to be the same tactics with the same people. Might get steam rolled on one match, but sometimes you'll be on the good side, and sometimes not.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

pooty wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:21 pm The Slated, as is, with just the current version vehicle updates is staying as is. There might be other versions but that one is inviolate.
Having a randomizer would obliviate it, as it did for everything else, because no one would ever vote for it. Randomizer is clearly what people want (I suspect mainly for those who cannot figure out a strategy). But the uniqueness of slated would be lost to the frenetic chaos that randomizer always is. Maybe it is inevitable. But I see it as one or the other.

Turkey taking forever...
pooty

Post by pooty »

No goal to Randomize everything. Some maps are good for it, and some should be kept as is. Updating the vehicles makes sense so they are consistent, especially when they can widely vary map to map when they are embedded.
Randomizer is clearly what people want (I suspect mainly for those who cannot figure out a strategy
Most want large vehicle spambox, eg. MassD and most randomziers. Most of the maps that require strategy or team work don't get played as much, sadly. Don't get me wrong, the Randomizers are fun, but its also fun to build up strategies and teamwork.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:23 pm Having a randomizer would obliviate it, as it did for everything else, because no one would ever vote for it.
Nobody hardly ever votes for it now! And when it does on the very rare occasion get voted half the server groans about it and many leave. And non-randomizer versions of maps get voted all the time, MTMU is a great example.
FuriousRabbit wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:23 pm Randomizer is clearly what people want (I suspect mainly for those who cannot figure out a strategy). But the uniqueness of slated would be lost to the frenetic chaos that randomizer always is. Maybe it is inevitable. But I see it as one or the other.
So let’s deny what people want based on an erroneous assumption and slightly condescending notion they’re too stupid to play regular maps. I like randomizers and it’s sure as shit NOT because I lack strategy. Some people like randomizers because they offer a taste of variety to an already well liked map. And having a Randomizer version of Slated might actually get it played more. I see nothing wrong with that.

And “Randomizer” does not automatically turn a map into frenetic chaos, only on maps like MassD where virtually every vehicle we have is vomited onto the map. And yet we keep that garbage on the server… BUT NOOOOOOOO, we wouldn’t ever consider making a slated Randomizer. Thanks for the non-consideration pooty.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Enyo wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:51 am So let’s deny what people want based on an erroneous assumption and slightly condescending notion they’re too stupid to play regular maps.
That's rich coming from you (I believe you coined the phrase tank tards?) but it is true. Even Beltamaxx (SoL founder) said he didn't run an ONS server because his community couldn't handle it.

Mark my words, once you switch slated to randomizer, the original will effectively be gone. You get the same geometry, but the game will be very different. Maybe it will be better, but I doubt it. Overall, randomizer dumbs down the game.
pooty

Post by pooty »

we wouldn’t ever consider making a slated Randomizer. Thanks for the non-consideration pooty.
The Slated, as is, with just the current version vehicle updates is staying as is. There might be other versions but that one is inviolate.
I didn't say I wouldn't. I said I wouldn't replace the current version. I did say I didn't want to randomize everything, there is something to be said about a fixed vehicle loadout. Although it brings up a point, if people like Randomizers a more focused approach vs. KitchenSink approach can work too. Some of the new Randomizers (ZeroImpact, Valarna, VolcanoHigh) aren't a free for all.

And we can make a randomizer with just specific flyers. Current Randomizers are just random, any vehicle from a list, based on points.
I cleaned up the RandomVehicle factories so each spawn point can have its own list... so you could do things like only Omega at cores, only flyers here, only trucks there etc. This would help control the progression/flow of the map. With that you can have some spawns random vehicles, some fixed ChainsIsle, has Cicada, Draco, Wraith as random factory and rest are fixed... so plenty of flexibility.
And “Randomizer” does not automatically turn a map into frenetic chaos, only on maps like MassD where virtually every vehicle we have is vomited onto the map.
True. I do despise that map and I made it :oops: . Its not every vehicle, not sure its even half... but having too many vehicles, not the types, not the randomness, IMO is the problem. It just becomes spambox.

Also, map play testing is also key. Previously it takes 6-10 edits to get it "just right", so figure half a dozen matches, as hopefully I am better at than I was starting out. Problem here is the crowd plays it once, several will proclaim anythign that isn't Minus/JY/MassD/Dria "sucks" and never vote it again, makes it hard to tweak the map, and even harder to justify the hours doing it.
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Actually, I change my vote to make slated a randomizer. Just because I'm too curious how my assessment pans out and there is only one way to find out.