Map lists

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Map lists

Post by Enyo »

McLovin wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:05 am Well, I'm done then. cyas

Not only did Snarf admin force a map and empty the server. He implemented map-lists and emptied the server permanently.
captainsnarf wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 10:22 am I didn't do anything other than make this post as something to discuss. I haven't forced a map in months. Since badgermeup is played daily, it would be in the standard list so it would always be playable.

'Emptied the server permanently' ? What the actual fuck. I make maps, vehicles, linknuke, fix UTComp so it works with ONS, add emoticons, balancer multipliers, badger fix, exit fix, add startup songs, and then drop everything so I can make YOU custom zounds on a whim, and I helped PAY for the server. Some fucking gratitude.
Let's all simmer down here... I think McLovin was being fecetious in that if Badgermeup was only on Tuesdays then he'd quit playing. And he seems to think map lists will somehow empty the server permanently, which I think is an erroneous assumption.

Snarf, we're all extremely grateful for all you do here! I think you and pooty took McLovin's comment the wrong way (or maybe not). Granted, his choice of words is rather poor and jumps the gun a bit, but sarcasm, humor and intent do not always come across effectively in text. He's just saying he's against the map lists idea.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

I guess I'm one of the old farts who just likes to play the same shit over and over. Why? Because those maps are fun (play well for one reason or another) and only require general skills rather than specialty ones. E.g., all of my favorites value snipers (and sniper tanks) but don't allow them to dominate. I'd prefer not to have map lists. Some days, you finally get rid of Enyo :D , and want to have fun on Slated. It'd suck to have the constraint of "nope, only allowed on Fridays".
pooty

Post by pooty »

I just took at that he was complaining about a change that wasn't implemented.

Besides Minus-BadgerMeUp is broken map. If you lose 8/9 you're pretty much screwed since the other team gets two ion badgers. :o
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

pooty wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:34 pm I just took at that he was complaining about a change that wasn't implemented.

Besides Minus-BadgerMeUp is broken map. If you lose 8/9 you're pretty much screwed since the other team gets two ion badgers. :o
Well, now you know how to permanently run McLovin off if you ever need to... just completely delete BadgerMeUp. ;)
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Sorry Snarf. I was wrong to call you out with my harsh over-the-top comments. You and Pooty do most of the heavy lifting and keep the server running smoothly. We all appreciate your efforts and commitment.

I get it. You guys enjoy making mods and new maps. The majority don't want to learn new stuff and only want to play what they know and not have to learn new things. They vote for the old maps they love and ignore the new ones. I'd get pissed too if my work was ignored.

The part I don't care for is forcing people to play the new stuff, no matter what. I'm squarely in the "put all the maps on the server" camp. Let the mob decide what they want to play.

One solution: Enable map lists during prime time when the server is full or when the player count is greater than x. But the other 18 hours of the day, allow all maps. So people can practice, learn, explore, play bots whatever. The server is capable of cron jobs to do the shuffling automatically, right?

In the wise words of Sarge, "If you don't like a map, don't play it."
pooty

Post by pooty »

But the other 18 hours of the day, allow all maps. So people can practice, learn, explore, play bots whatever. The server is capable of cron jobs to do the shuffling automatically, right?
That's good point, those that want to practice or even enjoy playing against bots practice or not, should be able to during non-peak hours. We get several single player matches nearly every day...

Cron jobs, sadly no. First the server is windows, so its probably called Windows Internet Explorer Time Scheduler or something... but seriously we don't have that level of server access since its hosted for us... (Quite reasonably I'd say for ~$400 a year).
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Thank you for the apology McLovin. I can get butt hurt too :cry: :lol:

I get it. Map lists could drive players away. I suggested it because playing the same maps every night also drives players away (like myself, leon and sub-zero). Maybe we could try it for one night of the week instead of every night. Make one night 'map makers' night, and the rest all maps, and we would always have the 'standard maps' available.
Super Sanka

Post by Super Sanka »

Ive been jumping back and forth between the DM (well, freon) servers and ours now anyway. Onslaught..I mean I'm an ons player since I have the most hours on here but I'm certainly more of a natural dm player.

I enjoy the talking about strategy and taking out opponents and nodes on voice chat tho. Big maps like the junkyards ,minus and Dria are boring for me because I crave fast speed action.

Maps like Tyrant are great because it's a mix of vehicles and foot fighting which is what the original maps are. I bet if nobody played stock Torlan before and we introduced it without all the one shot vehicles we'd get complaints about it being a "DM" map 🤣
pooty

Post by pooty »

Maybe we could try it for one night of the week instead of every night. Make one night 'map makers' night, and the rest all maps, and we would always have the 'standard maps' available.
Yes, that would help with tweaking maps. Best way to improve a map is real play testing.

The other related thought was in the map name we put some sort of designation... eg. DM, TMU, Randomizer, Classic, not sure what categories, but perhaps this would help so when you vote for a map you'd have some idea of the play style. We kind of do this already, but it not consistent.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

pooty wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:16 pm ...
Cron jobs, sadly no. First the server is windows, so its probably called Windows Internet Explorer Time Scheduler or something...
My cygwin guy at work (probably the best cygwin guy in the country) says you can side-load it. Cygwin does cron jobs. No more logging in daily to shuffle files around. Just script it so it does it automatically.