captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Map lists

Post by captainsnarf »

"What maps are we going to play tonight?"
"The same maps we play every night Pinky."

We don't use any map lists.

We have the default ONS map list but it's not in use. We just use all maps on the server. Can we use this feature? Maybe we could create a bunch of different map lists and then rotate them out each week. It would be nice to go a week without a 45 min slog through DJY, or a week where there is only one Minus not 6.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Re: Map lists

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Sidenote, those would be good zounds
pooty

Post by pooty »

I'd be ok with that, but I think we should take a poll. There's a die hard crowd that wants the same 6 maps.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Not a fan of the map lists. I'd prefer if you're sick of the current maps being played, admin force the maps you want instead. Limiting maps available for the democratic mob-rule to vote on smacks of censorship and book burning to me. Admin authority would be the override of any mob-rule voting.

For example:

A fascinating study of: When cooler heads in the room reign supreme.
I'm a firm believer in democratic rule. But there are times when the mob rule is not the best. My-way-or-the-highway works on a micro-scale every day, everywhere. Just ask any parent/child, boss/subordinate.
Example: Sunshine (2007) Whether to detour or complete the mission as planned.
SEARLE: It's a risk assessment.
The question is: Does the risk of a detour outweigh the benefits of an extra payload?
-We'll have a vote.
SEARLE: No, we won't. We are not a democracy.
Captain Kaneda: The decision will be made by the person best qualified to understand the complexities... Our physicist.
Capa (physicist): Shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUfubQCfHUU&t=210s
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

How is forcing a map different than forcing a map list.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Honestly, we have been playing several new maps lately. And often the usual 6 maps or so of Randomizers and Junkyard have already been played by the early crowd, by around 9pm ET or so.

But, either way McLovin is a perplexing one... prefers democracy until the dictatorship knows better or just gets tired of the mob's rule, lol. So, as snarf said, what's the difference in that or just making map lists?

And McLovin does bring up an interesting point... Omni is technically a dictatorship in that if pooty ever decided to pull the plug he could, but we have an effective oligarchy to manage the place. Map voting is our illusion of democracy that we offer to the dumb-masses, and there's no such thing as unlimited choices - as long as there are some choices the sheep will be content.

I'd be in favor of map lists if we could somehow rotate them weekly or even daily.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

captainsnarf wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:22 pm How is forcing a map different than forcing a map list.
The main difference for me is a map list excludes maps from availability. You can't vote for a map that is not in the map list. You can't even force it as an admin.
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

When I get on the server 1730-1800 MST, if nobody is on, I'll force the map to BadgerMeUp and wait for pick-up play. Sometimes somebody will join and vote the map out and play something else.

If people are already on, I'll spec and wait until the game is over. I'll ask if the players if I can force BadgerMeUp. Most of the time they concur, other times, not so much. But I present the choice.

Admin forcing maps in the middle of the night with a full server disadvantage is: Not everybody is going to agree. Some will immediately leave. Others will bitch about bad admin.

The advantage of a map-list is you can force others to play maps they wouldn't normally play without taking the admin blame for forcing a map. But some will still leave when no maps they like are available or simply not play at all. A few will stick around and play whatever, but that's a minority group for sure.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Omni is technically a dictatorship in that if pooty ever decided to pull the plug he could, but we have an effective oligarchy to manage the place. Map voting is our illusion of democracy that we offer to the dumb-masses, and there's no such thing as unlimited choices - as long as there are some choices the sheep will be content.
:lol: I had a history teacher that insisted the best form of government was a benevolent dictatorship....

I think though it comes down to this... there's some hard core must play maps that I think most players want there always (DJY, AJY, Minus, Dria, NVM), we have many maps... but they just vote the same shit (old farts). Some of the maps arent' the best but feels like the majority doesn't want to learn anything new, and they prefer drive in a tank, get killed by anon, get in another tank, get killed by GTKU, etc. Its seems mostly randomizers get played, and any maps whether they are DM heavy, less vehicles, or even takes a bit more strategy vs. just straight up LEE-ROOOY Jenkins! don't get voted.

I'm happy to mod (or remove maps), but modding takes lots of time and effort, and more importantly play testing...(at least V5 or more usually).

But, back on topic, I increased the rotation a bit, and it seems we get a bit of variety, but still keep the favorites, so I don't know how map lists would help.

I would say, that perhaps an admin choice at least once a night? Try something new, something old. Even just play DM map--we have some good ones too.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

"Admin's choice" or maybe we could do "forum's choice". We want to play a map that has been talked about on the forums for whatever reason. That might pull more people into this area to actually contribute to the discussion.