ONS-HomeSweetHome Randomizer

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
captainsnarf
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: ONS-HomeSweetHome Randomizer

Post by captainsnarf »

Sorry Rhamp, but this map edit is not very good. The cutout tunnels in the ceiling break everything. There is no point even going through the room layout, or taking the teleporters in the ceiling lights. And if the cutout tunnels weren't OP enough, there is super shield, keg, deemer and I think even double damage up there.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

The whole point of the ceiling tunnels is to make it so it doesn't devolve into being only a clusterfuck in the middle, allowing for additional ways to push nodes. No more lightning mech camping in one area deleting the entire enemy team. I got sick of that gameplay real quick and I was usually the one in said lightning mech dumpstering the enemy team. There was no reason to use a flier other than the warhawk since you'd get instantly swatted by the mechs. The tunnels allow for fliers to do their thing away from any ground vehicle interference until they get near one of the openings. If a sniper mech is guarding one opening, then it can't be guarding the others, so fliers can play around that. Also, I've seen some strong defensive formations with ground vehicles defending the flier nodes so the tunnels aren't op at all if the team knows how to surpress them properly. Also, the cores have a dropship, so you can put vehicles up in the tunnels to deny fliers if you want to.

Making the ceiling light teleporters worth using again is something that I'll look into, maybe move some of the pickups from the tunnels to the ceiling light.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Rhamp wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:28 am There was no reason to use a flier other than the warhawk since you'd get instantly swatted by the mechs.
That’s not true at all, I had no problems getting to the bedroom node with different flyers on the original version. I agree with snarf, the ceiling tunnels break the map. I never fly thru the main rooms on the Randomizer because the tunnels.

I don’t mind the idea of the vents, but maybe a node should move up there, or reduce the size and number of tunnels, they shouldn’t be able to access the whole map.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

I don’t mind the idea of the vents, but maybe a node should move up there, or reduce the size and number of tunnels, they shouldn’t be able to access the whole map.
I like them. Some ideas:
- Teleporter(s) to get infantry up to the vents.
- Remove the DD from the vents
- Maybe end them before the 4/1 nodes, so you have to drop into the room before instead of being able to shoot with DD from above where its hard to hit.

Its a pretty high powered map. Shock/LG Mech pretty much destroys flyers (has anyone taken a Mech in the vents?).. I think SniperMech does like 300+ which will obliterate most raptor types....Shockatron is a bit better but still lethal.

Part of the map balance is trying to figure out a balance of vehicles. The original HSH was pretty much made to test out the mechs vs. everything else. Which the Mech mostly win especially in skilled hands. Linkatron is especially beasty -- links up stuff really fast, and the beam will hammer flyers quickly. A team that uses Linkatron, Snipertron and UFO portals well dominate. On the Rando version this is changed up which is good, but like all Randos you can get a mix that isn't balanced or useful
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

I like these ideas. The main reasoning behind the vents was to give fliers a way to bypass the major chokepoint.

Here is what I'm thinking:
-Making the vents end in the first bedroom, so you have to fly through that room to get to the flier node. This still allows fliers to bypass the major chokepoint without forcing too much action out of the original rooms.
-Moving the double damage, keg and super shield from the vent to the ceiling lamp. That way, either a flier has to fly up there out of the way to get them, or someone can use the teleporter on foot to get them.
-Removing the openings to the vent near the center node. This will make it so fliers have to fly in the rooms to be able to contest the middle.
-Adding a teleporter from the ledge separating the center room on both sides to the center of the vent. This could open up some interesting play angles.

This should make the map less flier dominated while still allowing multiple routes to push nodes.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

V3 on the google drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n_yGR8 ... sp=sharing

Changes mentioned above + adding a jumppad from the primary nearest to the core to the christmas tree. That way you can get to the goodies and teleporter under the tree without having to grab a vehicle.
pooty

Post by pooty »

On the Server.
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ou0f5te295hn3ub/ONS-HomeSweetHome-)o(-Xmas-Randomizer-V3-TEST.zip/file

A few things,

You can easily align textures by selecting them, pressing F5, going to the "Alignment" tab and using planar/box alignment. This will remove the texture seams between the different brushes.

When you created the vents, you didn't zone them off, so huge portions of the map are not getting culled, which you can verify using the zone/portal viewport. Each room should have its own color. You can create zone portals using the sheet BSP tool and clicking the special brush tool and choosing zone portal prefab. You may need to strategically place the zone portals to prevent a hall of mirrors effect. In my image demonstration that was the case.

After adding zone portals, I gained roughly a 50% increase in performance staring at the inner core wall (10% error margin to account for different vehicles).

captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

I had to nope out of this one. I recall there were FOUR levis all shooting into the center room.

If you are going to sit in a levi and repeatedly spam the exact same location the entire 30 minute round, why do you even play this game? You could literally lock your left mouse button, walk away for 30 minutes, and be JUST AS EFFECTIVE.

This used to be a cool map but now it's worse than MassD. The non-randomizer version is infinitely better. Not surprisingly, our players prefer this no skill spam fest.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

captainsnarf wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:29 pm I had to nope out of this one. I recall there were FOUR levis all shooting into the center room.

If you are going to sit in a levi and repeatedly spam the exact same location the entire 30 minute round, why do you even play this game? You could literally lock your left mouse button, walk away for 30 minutes, and be JUST AS EFFECTIVE.

This used to be a cool map but now it's worse than MassD. The non-randomizer version is infinitely better. Not surprisingly, our players prefer this no skill spam fest.
I haven't played this map, but yes let's not all forget the VehicleTester map. That thing would still get voted nearly every night.