ONS-MinusRhampedEdition

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Rhamp

ONS-MinusRhampedEdition

Post by Rhamp »

V1 on the google drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p2Vth1 ... sp=sharing

So about a week ago I was shitting on how boring Minus is to play every day and a bunch of people said to make a Rhamped edition of it. Well here it is, with way too much effort put in to what originally was going to be a shitpost of a map. Obviously it has odins, arbiters, mechs and railtanks galore along with the normal mix of vehicles. The balancing of how many mechs and levis will probably need to be fine tuned, as you can only test so much in bot matches.

Differences from the normal Minus randomizer:
-Core parking garage size increased to allow mechs to be able to spawn inside it without getting wedged. A guaranteed arbiter and odin spawn in addition to the normal shield tank and centar
-Added the mothership from that assault map to the center of the map. Got inspiration from Hyperblast to have more things to fly through, so here it is. The middle node is moved inside the mothership, so you have to fly inside it to build the node. The mothership also spawns with hostile turrets that attack both teams until destroyed. They do not respawn.
-Added a new node on both sides that is inside one of the buildings near the middle. Since the middle node is now a flier only node, these nodes now potentially provide more ground-based vehicles.
-Almost every building now has some sort of interior. You can fly inside buildings, drive a tank inside and shoot out a window, park a levi on the roof, snipe mechs from cover, etc. Just know if you camp in a building, it will probably get destroyed faster if you draw too much attention from the other team.
-Almost every building is now destructable, if it has an interior that isn't the building with the core in it, you can blow it up. I don't know how many times I was about to kill a flier only for them to land on a building and heal to full, so now you can just blow that stupid ass building to bits. Assuming the server decides to render the emitters correctly, you can watch the buildings crash and burn as the match progresses. The rubble left behind still offers some cover for ground vehicles, but fliers will see most of their cover get destroyed as the game goes on and buildings become more scarce. The hp of the buildings will probably be tweaked in the future based on how fast they are demolished. Right now it takes 10+ mino shots to demolish a building.
-Added some crates in front of the primary in the trench to provide cover from the middle. This should make it easier to hold on to that primary, as once this node went down, it was a pain in the ass to bring back up in the other versions.
-Added a rail tank to both primaries to help with anti air. The kitchensink randomizer was notorious for spawning too many fliers and not enough anti air, so this should prevent that situation from happening here.
Anonymous.

Re: ONS-MinusRhampedEdition

Post by Anonymous. »

Think it goes without saying, but the FPS is fucking abysmal. :(
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Post by Enyo »

Anonymous. wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:47 pm Think it goes without saying, but the FPS is fucking abysmal. :(
Like only 100 fps abysmal or only 60 fps abysmal?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

Good, then you can't headshot everyone from across the map. When I was testing it in 32 player bot games, I didn't have any fps issues compared to my normal fps. I could still aim the odin and arbiter without issue. I had to remove the antiportals that were in the buildings since they don't work at all with the interiors and the rubble, which is why the fps will be lower on this version than the other minuses.
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

If it has performance issues, you really should try to do what you can to make it perform better.

Anon posted a 'benchmark' map to SoL discord, along with his numbers, getting 137fps on the benchmark map using 64 bit UT. When I tried using the 32 bit version, I got only 40fps. This is on Ryzen9 7950X3D + 7900 XTX. My setup is not optimized but it is pretty much latest top end gaming hardware.

The point being if Anon is complaining about performance, our average joe players will have no chance playing it with any reasonable performance.
pooty

Post by pooty »

Looks really cool.

But yes FPS is awful. I barely get 60 fps, and normally offline I'll get 400+ On the server it will likey stall or crash.

This map probably needs as many antiportals as possible... and maybe some cull distance settings.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Post by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH »

Sounds badass! Can't wait to try it.
Rhamp

Post by Rhamp »

V2 is on the google drive with some performance enhancements.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jHYM80 ... sp=sharing

I set the cull distance to all the destructable buildings to a super small number (something like 0.000001). That way it doesn't double draw the buildings, which was eating a bunch of fps. Couldn't get them to not render entirely without changing their hitbox, so this was my quick fix. Reduced the fog distance from 4000 to 3000. Added antiportals to the core garages, mothership, and beneath the map. Now when the buildings crash and burn, they go through the antiportal and stop eating resources. I checked my fps and here are the results:

minus-kitchensink - 130 average, 100 when looking at the core garage
minus-rhampededitionv1 - 80 average, 60 when looking at the core garage
minus-rhampededitionv2 - 110 average, 100 when looking at the core garage
pooty

Post by pooty »

I still get 60-80 fps when looking at the buildings. 120+ looking at ground or just a wall. I just have a measly 1080 GTX, but that should easily overpower UT2004.

I think its the static mesh triangles. If you stat all and look at the static mesh triangles, its huge when the fps drops... I think this is where the FPS loss is coming from. Not sure how to fix it though.... we could try it on the server and see, but I think its going to be quite a bit.
pooty

Post by pooty »