Admin's Choice, map forcing.

Discuss and provide feedback on Maps.
Enyo
Server Sponsor: Yes
Server Admin: Yes

Re: Admin's Choice, map forcing.

Post by Enyo »

Pegasus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:16 pm There are no holy cows in UT/ONS server management, content-wise. Question everything periodically, prune often, improve where and when you can as best as your evolving theoretical understanding of ONS' design allows you to, work with others where it makes sense to do so, and try to have some fun in between all that with other still active fellow players is as close as I've ever managed to come to a server-running philosophy that'll prevent (or at least substantially delay) burning out and leaving. Hope that helps.
Run-on sentence much??? J/K…

While I agree with most of your long run-on sentences (sorry couldn’t help myself), McLovin is not representative of all admins’ views on this. And, OMNI is still the last and only populated ONS server left in North America, and I attribute that to the active development we’ve maintained over the years. So, we do prune from time to time, we have been discussing map rotation quite a lot, and I think it’s past time to trim the fat too.

Still, admins forcing a map from time to time when the stains are voting Dria, Djunk, MTMU over and over is fine too.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Enyo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:15 am
Pegasus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:16 pm There are no holy cows in UT/ONS server management, content-wise. Question everything periodically, prune often, improve where and when you can as best as your evolving theoretical understanding of ONS' design allows you to, work with others where it makes sense to do so, and try to have some fun in between all that with other still active fellow players is as close as I've ever managed to come to a server-running philosophy that'll prevent (or at least substantially delay) burning out and leaving. Hope that helps.
Run-on sentence much??? J/K…
Dude, that's not a run-on sentence. Stop exposing the ineptitude of the U.S. educational system.

Oops, I what I meant was, "stop make U S look bad on learn stuff. MAGA!"
pooty

Post by pooty »

Please keep politics out of this thread.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 am Dude, that's not a run-on sentence. Stop exposing the ineptitude of the U.S. educational system.

Hard to infer intent or emotion in your comment, but since you usually like to denigrate my comments at every turn I’ll take it as an insult. If it’s not then I apologize for misunderstanding your intent.

His entire post is nothing but run on sentences. It’s quite verbose and garrulous to say the least, although I fully agree with his point.
Per The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the term "run-on sentence" is also used for "a very long sentence, especially one lacking order or coherence".
So, who exactly is making the U.S. Ed system look bad here besides Pegasus? But you are correct in that most Americans’ inability to communicate clearly and concisely is a direct product of our education system. The public ed system is shitty by design. How else do you create so many useful idiots?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
FuriousRabbit

Post by FuriousRabbit »

Enyo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:20 pm
FuriousRabbit wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:24 am Dude, that's not a run-on sentence. Stop exposing the ineptitude of the U.S. educational system.

Hard to infer intent or emotion in your comment, but since you usually like to denigrate my comments at every turn I’ll take it as an insult. If it’s not then I apologize for misunderstanding your intent.

His entire post is nothing but run on sentences. It’s quite verbose and garrulous to say the least, although I fully agree with his point.
Per The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the term "run-on sentence" is also used for "a very long sentence, especially one lacking order or coherence".
So, who exactly is making the U.S. Ed system look bad here besides Pegasus? But you are correct in that most Americans’ inability to communicate clearly and concisely is a direct product of our education system. The public ed system is shitty by design. How else do you create so many useful idiots?
Sorry, it was meant to be humorous with the latter part not directed at you; more of a commentary on the level of discourse and intelligence used in current affairs. While Pegasus' writing is complex, I do not think it is incorrect. In past times, e.g., look at the writings of Jefferson, that complexity was much more common. But off topic, will shut up now.

I would have said something about modern leaders and tweets, but I'm already on thin ice with Pooty :?
captainsnarf

Post by captainsnarf »

Woah, back on topic please.
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

FuriousRabbit wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:11 pm Sorry, it was meant to be humorous with the latter part not directed at you; more of a commentary on the level of discourse and intelligence used in current affairs. While Pegasus' writing is complex, I do not think it is incorrect. In past times, e.g., look at the writings of Jefferson, that complexity was much more common. But off topic, will shut up now.

I would have said something about modern leaders and tweets, but I'm already on thin ice with Pooty :?
All good, my own confirmation bias got in the way of reading it as intended. My bad!
― Mark Twain
pooty

Post by pooty »

lol. I have to be the mean forum admin. Politics has a way of derailing topics. Feel free to debate with civility in the off topic section.

Back on topic, I don't think the occasional force is all that bad.
And while we could prune out less played maps I think that also contributes to the wash, rinse, repeat cycle. I think there's very few truly awful maps, Trench comes to mind, that need the shitcanning. Several are older and perhaps need a few tweaks, or just have different style of play, DM, more classic vehicles, fixed vehicle load outs, less flyers, less tanks etc.

What I've found is the more complex maps don't do well either. The populace favors simple flat, drive in a tank style maps. Maybe I should dust off Binger's Minus-Sunset and give that a once over... ;)
Anonymous.

Post by Anonymous. »

What's wrong with Trench?
Enyo

Post by Enyo »

Anonymous. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am What's wrong with Trench?
Nobody likes it. Your new version without the Dragon is much better, but I still don't care for the map in general.
― Mark Twain